I need help ASAP! Please Read!

>

Freaking Out

Freaking Out

I need help ASAP! Please Read!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

I recently changed schools and the school that I am now in uses the Debbie Miller model for teaching Reading and Language arts. I read the "Reading with Meaning" and viewed the DVDs but am still confused. I am a relatively new teacher (less than 10 years in the field) and feel that I should be able to pick this up quickly...but I don't know where to start! I feel so confused! I am used to working with anthologies. I should also add that I am an intermediate teacher, so I am not sure how this is supposed to look with the older grades. As a new teacher to the building, I feel intimidated to ask too many questions because it sounds like I don't know what I am doing...but I almost feel like I don't! It is just so overwhelming! If you have any suggestions, lessons,...ANYTHING I would appreciate the input! Thanks so much!

littlepenny

Readers Workshop
Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It can seem overwhelming. OK...Have you read "Guiding Reading and Writers- Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy?" There is a chapter starting the school year with 15 crucial lessons that are amazing. It is great to start building a Readers Workshop. It aslo has great graphic organizers to get going and support ideas and strategies addressed in Debbie Miller. Honestly, have her book on your lap as you teach. Get sticky notes, chart paper, great picture books and go for it!

VAreader

Mosaic of Thought and Strategies That Work
Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

are also on my lap as I teach Debbie Miller. I am doing this for the 3rd year and I am still figuring it out. I think the best piece of advice I can offer is to know your students and their needs. Don't move on to the next unit just because you have a sequence to follow. Listen to their interests and their needs. For example, I am supposed to be teaching metacognition right now, but my class still thinks that the longer the book, the better readers they are. So I am backing up and teaching that good readers understand what they read, no matter what the reading material is. (This is hard concept in 2nd where long chapter books are status symbols.)

I also break off when I do some of my science and social studies units and teach nonfiction strategies with research. The library is my best friend---I check out probably around 40 books (at least) for each unit on a variety of reading levels.

RW is an approach. Focus on a few strategies that you think are significant and important and really go into great depth.

Good luck! I don't know if this was helpful at all, but you can do it. Changing to this model completely rejuvenated me. I was getting burned out by the mundane rhythm of a basal series.