Help

Sunflower Room

Reader's Workshop PLEASE HELP!!!!

>

jyllian24

Reader's Workshop PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! This is the first year a co-worker and I are implementing reader's workshop... so far we have been able to get the launching part of it up and running. (we think haha) Can anyone share a sequence of mini-lessons or guide me in the right direction?? I have found a ton of stuff online but I would like to see what an actual experiences 3rd grade teacher does....please help
Thank you in advance!!

VAreader

Reader's Workshop Help
Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi--I teach 2nd grade. I am preparing for my unit on metacognition--what a proficient reader thinks about as they read. I am noticing, however, that my class is not selecting appropriate books for their book buckets. So instead of moving straight into metacognition, I am going to do a few lessons on what an appropriate book looks like for each reader. I will then move into metacognition--figuring out unknown words, do I really understand what I just read? What background knowledge do I need/have to understand this better?

Then I will move into schema and connections. The most important thing to remember is to respond to your class's needs. Each group needs to move on at their own rate and hit the skills where they are weak. I don't hit the same lessons each year, it depends on the class and their needs.

jessicamae3

Old 10-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thelearningpad.com
is a great place to start!!
You will love it....look on the left side for readers workshop, you will find an equally wonderful writers workshop minilessons.
I teach first and can not believe my luck at finding this sight this past february. Changed my teaching forever!

ginadoo

Reading Units of Study
Old 10-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Did you see that Lucy Calkins has release a unit of study series for reading grades 3-5? I think it is around $200 from Heineman, but well worth it. The upper grade teachers are using it at my school and although it is overwhelming, the content is great! I'm using Growing Readers by Kathy Collins to drive my mini lessons in first grade.

hawkeyegirl

Can't find thelearningpad.com
Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi Jessicamae3! I typed in thelearningpad.com, but I am not finding what you are describing. Are you talking about a teacher's website...she is from S. Carolina? I would love to see the reading and writing plans that you mentioned...maybe I'm at the wrong learning pad site. Thanks for your help!

bgteacher

Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'd had the site bookmarked. It's thelearningpad.net

chinakat

reading workshop
Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would recommend the books Revisiting the Reading Workshop , authors last names are Orehovec and Alley, and Teaching Comprehension Strategies All Readers Needboth published by Scholastic.

However, I have to say that after 9 years of teaching and struggling with the consistency and management of the reading AND writing workshop (while still loving and embracing the philosophy) I SWEAR by The Daily 5 and The CAFE. I would HIGHLY recommend going that route if you feel like you are looking for direction. Get the books and check out the Peony Room.

Hope this helps!

animalcracker

Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

had the same trouble.
Thanks for clearing that up.

buster10

RW mini lesson ideas
Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One book I have found helpful is the RW mini lesson book from scholastic - if you do a search on the website you should find it. It has a variety of mini lessons and they are very easy to follow. Good luck - I too teach 3rd grade and this is my first year implementing RW. I love it and would love to hear what works for others as well. Good luck!