Help

Sunflower Room

RW Mini Lessons

>

teachersd

RW Mini Lessons
Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

About how long does your mini lesson take? I launched RW the first day of school and I sometimes feel that my 2nd graders are bored and not listening at all during the mini lesson. Any suggestions on how to get them a little more excited?

terrytan

Keep it short!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The advice I've always heard and what the books say is to keep those mini lessons short, about 5-8 minutes or so. I have always been guilty of going on too long and I can sure tell when I have. That's when the kids are fidgety and look bored. Some teachers set a timer to keep them on track!
The other thing to remember is to teach with a "sense of urgency", as if what you are teaching is of utmost importance. The kids pick up on this and will in turn be more enthusiastic about what you are teaching them.

JessiLynn87

Reinforcing terrytan's post
Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As terrytan said, we also use the "sense of urgency" in our 2nd grade classroom. The kids probably get tired of hearing me say the word "urgency" all day long, but it is so important. Sometimes I will hear the students say, "We are not treating this with urgency, guys!" Which puts a huge smile on my face!

Also, keep those lessons short and sweet. I use books that appeal to my students' interests. That seems to work very well!