Help

Sunflower Room

The Lotus Seed for QUESTIONING

>

BookMuncher

The Lotus Seed for QUESTIONING
Old 02-04-2007, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! As anyone ever used The Lotus Seed to talk for the comp. strategy of questioning?

My specific question about it is, how much-- if any-- background knowledge did you give them before or as you read? And- if you did give background knowledge, what was it?!

I found the book at a used book store, so I bought it, but as I read about how much the kids in Miller's class loved it, I wonder how much background knowledge they were given.

Thanks!

kaycee1128

Old 02-04-2007, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did this last year when I taught 2nd grade and they absolutely loved the book and were able to ask meaningful questions and then find the answers. I think we spent almost a week with this book because the kids loved it so much.

If I remember correctly I don't think that I gave them much background knowledge during the 1st read I just recorded their questions and I found that they were able to ask the right questions without the background knowledge. When we went back and read it again to answer our questions I did give them some more background knowledge to answer some of those questions and then marked it with OS. (I think I did it pretty much like Debbie Miller)

Don't you love it when you can find these great books at a used book store. Last week I scored Salt Hands and a bunch of Mercer Mayer books for 10 cents?

BookMuncher

oh my gosh!
Old 02-04-2007, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm SO jealous that you found Salt Hands! That book is no less than $40 used on Amazon! I'll have to keep my eyes pealed .

Thanks for the info!

1stgradenew

Half.com
Old 02-04-2007, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Bookmuncher I found Salt Hands on half.com for $25...don't know how bad you want it but thats better than $40 right?

kaycee1128

Oh my gosh!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Now I really feel like I have found a deal! It really has been a powerful anchor text for teaching my kids small moments.

First2no

Lotus Seed Level
Old 03-03-2007, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I looked up this book on amazon. BookMuncher, are you planning on reading this to your first grade class? As you know, I'm concentrating on questioning. Is this book appropriate for a first grade class? It's about a Vietnamese child, right? Am I looking at the same book?
f2n

BookMuncher

lotus seed
Old 03-03-2007, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yup... you're looking at the right book. The reason why it's so good is that it is confusing. This is the book that Debbie Miller goes into so much detail about how she used it for her intro. to questioning in Reading with Meaning.

The best books for the questioning strategy are the ones that you have out at the book store, then scrunch up your nose and say, "I don't get" and put it back. (At least that's how I've picked all my favorites!)

First2no

Thanks....
Old 03-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've got some reading and learning to do.

kaycee1128

First2no
Old 03-03-2007, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Another one I am going to use is The Rolling Store by Angela Johnson. I haven't used it yet but I think it will work well. I read it last night and I had SO many questions! But I think it will work well because if the kids can use their schema, talk to each other and use the book jacket it will start to come together.

Jeanne b

questionning books
Old 03-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm searching for more books to use with my questionning study. I went through the list in RWM and found several in our library. Thanks in advance!

BookMuncher

questioning
Old 03-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

A lot of Chris Van Allsburgh's books are good for that: I like The Stranger and The Wretched Stone.

I also used Maggie and The Pirate by Jack Ezra Keats

and

last year: Grandfather Twighlight and Tough Boris (Mem Fox)

I'm thinking about using Flotsam (new wordless picture, by David Wiesner) this year. Similarly, June 29th would work well too. I used The Grey Lady and The Strawberry Snatcher for stuff at the beginning of the year, but it is so good that I think I might get it back out and have them write questions for that.

Where the Wild Things Are is a good one for them to use more independently, since they can read it. You'd be amazed at the things they ask questions about. Here's one that floored me from last year: "Why do the wild things say, 'We'll eat you up, we love you so?" They figured out that "we'll eat you up" could really mean "I love you", since he says that to his mom in the beginning!! Also, there are lots of things you can ask about Sendak's choices with the illustrations- watch the picture frames as they slowly move out to fill the page and then gradually recede again.

westernteach

The Lotus Seed
Old 03-08-2007, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I used the Lotus Seed this year with my second graders when we were working on questioning. I didn't give the kids any background at first...just read it to them and wrote down their questions. We spent at least a week on this book and by the time we were done the students could tell anyone exactly what the book was about. We had many great discussions about it and revisited our questions over and over. We even looked at the questions we had and decided if they were important to the meaning of the story or not. I will definitely add this book to my collection.