Help

Sunflower Room

Does any one else have a kid like this?

>

kaycee1128

Does any one else have a kid like this?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have this one kid who I have so much trouble getting him to read independently and choose just right books during reader's workhsop. Almost every conference I have with him is about how to choose a book that makes him feel like a strong reader and the way to become a strong reader is by practicing. He is one of the lower readers and I know it is harder for him and he does want to be a hot shot so I know that is part of the problem. BUT obviously he is not going to grow as a reader if he does not practice. He also wants a lot of attention and always wants me to read with him all the time. I've left lots of books on his desk with sticky notes that say "I think you'll like this...it's just right for your etc."

One thing that I am going to do this week is have him choose from a lower level bucket and see if this helps. I know the books will be too easy for him and most of them he has memorized but I'm thinking maybe he needs to build his confidence.

Any other ideas?

mamahawk

Reading Buddy
Old 02-04-2007, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is it possible to hook him up with a younger student? He could practise at a lower level and still be a "hot shot". I also limit my reluctant readers to a choice between two books. I know this goes against self selection but sometimes its necessary.

BookMuncher

choosing books
Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think there's always someone like this... What you've done already sounds good. I think something else you could do would be to choose one or two books that you know will be smooth with only a couple of bumps. Have him read them aloud to you and then point out that THAT is just what a just right book "sounds like." My guy who was like this really needed some anchors so that he understood what a just right book would sound like. I think this is partly due to the fact that his parents (despite my notes to them) think that just right means sounding out every single word.

When I finally got my little guy to choose just right books (sometimes by taking him by the hand and filling his bookshelf with him) then he was reading smoothly and progressed really really quickly. If you do this (maybe mixing those easier books with a couple of on-level ones) he will feel immediate success and you will be able to rave about how choosing just right books has helped him!

grade4curlyQ

Yea
Old 02-10-2007, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Heather818!
I'm experiencing this with a 4th grader right now too! He's a real challenge because of his attention seeking behaviors. I've met with his mom this past week and she confirms that he behaves the very same way at home too. He's always up under her she stated. It's almost as if he is resiting that move to independence that 4th graders transition through automatically at some point in the year. Most parents feel slighted by it, yet this parent is wondering when and how soon can we try to get it to happen with him.
He can not be trusted to help a younger reader from another class due to his magnetic attraction to trouble. He watches others in the room when he is supposed to be reading. He even throws little things around when my back is turned and claims other students' work is his or they took his ideas. His mom and I made a visit to the school counselor. In fact, his mom came to the school to paddle him last week.
Frustrated.

Jody

Unmotivated Reader
Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was just wondering if this child has ever been evaluated? Does he have an AIP (Academic Improvement Plan) or an IEP (Individualized education plan)? I wonder if he can read, thus the struggle, or it is just an issue of he isn't interested.