Help

Sunflower Room

Tacky the Penguin books

>

Jeanne b

Tacky the Penguin books
Old 02-05-2007, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I happened to read Helen Lester's Tacky the Penguin during read-aloud on Friday. It has suddenly sparked an interest in these books. I have several, Tacky the Emperor, Tacky and the Winter Games. The kids went to library today and I happened to mention they might check for more books about Tacky. Several came back with her books. Has anyone done an author study or have ideas as to how Debbie Miller might use these books? We contrasted Tacky and the other penguins. We also use inferring.

Thanks for any ideas--the kids want to take off with this and I must follow it seems. (I think the interest began because I used such a funny, country voice for Tacky and proper voices for the other penguins.) Today we graphed which penguin name they considered themselves --Goodly, Perfect, Angel, Tacky, etc. Interesting!

BookMuncher

Tacky
Old 02-06-2007, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I were you- I would let them really get to know the Tacky books, and their author's messages, b/c it's probably similiar for all of them.

Then introduce some of her other books (off the top of my head, I'm thinking of A Porcupine Named Fluffy and Hooway for Wodney Wat) and have the kids infer those author's messages.

A great lesson would be on how many authors show a pattern in either WHAT they write about, or what purpose they have for writing, or in the themes that run through all their books.

Example: Frank Asch tends to write about bears. Gail Gibbons always writes to inform. Helen Lester seems to want to tell people that different is good.

Hope that helps!

BookMuncher

text structure
Old 02-06-2007, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I thought of something else-- you might be able to get them to discover that all the books "go" the same way. They contain similar characters, they have the same setting. In all the books (that I know of) there is a problem that Tacky solves with his wackiness. They all end happily.

If I were teaching this, I would read them three higher-level books from a different author and then the kids figure out the Tacky text structure on their own.

heather818

Tackylocks
Old 02-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My favorite Tacky book is "Tackylocks." It is neat to compare/ contrast with a Goldilocks story. (Good Venn diagram.)

MalibuBarbie

Tacky
Old 02-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I absolutely LOVE Tacky--and his companions, Goodly, Lovely, Angel, Neatly and Perfect! That was a great idea one of you posted to have the kids graph which penguin they are most like. Thanks--I'll add that to my repertoire! The Tackylocks/Goldilocks venn is another great idea!

Each year, the kids adore the Tacky books--no doubt some of my enthusiasm wears off on them! I love it when I can find one of the titles for 95 cents a piece before the holidays. Makes for an excellent gift and segue into our study of penguins.

The last several years, my first graders and I have done a month-long study of penguins in January. After learning many true facts about penguins, we compare real penguins to those in the Tacky books as well as other books that personify penguins.

I made nametags for each of the penguins. The kids wear them and act out the stories as I read them.

IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE TACKY BOOKS YET, GO TO THE LIBRARY AND CHECK THEM OUT!!! YOU WON'T BE SORRY!

MalibuBarbie

Tacky, Penguins and Blogging
Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I got so excited posting about Tacky and penguins...

I wanted to share this with you, too. I'm going to get my kids blogging (classblogmeister) in the next week or two if the powers that be allow me to.

I plan on having the kids type a true fact about penguins in the computer lab and illustrate the fact using Kidpix. Then I'll get all of these facts posted on my brand new blog. If it works, I'll come back and give you the blog address to check it out!