Help

Sunflower Room

Brand New

>

lovebug422

Brand New
Old 02-11-2007, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm not sure if I'll even be able to find my way back here - but I thought I'd take the chance and post anyway. I'm finding a heck of a time knowing where to start in terms of mini-lessons. I've started late - finished leveling my library, have my bins all organized, the kids do their "shopping" each Friday and they know what Reader's Workshop *should* look like and sound like. Now I'm stuck - where do I start in terms of teaching the strategies? (comprehension - they've got the decoding strategies down from the guided reading groups I've been doing since the start of the school year).

I'd really appreciate any input, advice that you could give. What I"m really looking for is a book FULL of well laid out mini-lessons that go from "start" to "finish" and I've not found that. I've been following Growing Reader's and saw Collin's this summer at a workshop (she's AWESOME) - her book is great, but it's not as user friendly as Lucy Calkins Writing Workshop books where you can pick them up, turn to page one and have a plan for the rest of the school year.

Also, I was wondering if any of you can offer up or suggest worksheets for schema, visualization, other connections etc. that you've either made yourself, or can be purchased premade?

I've asked a ton of questions - and I'm sure I'm getting ahead of myself.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance for your help!

Holly

1stgradenew

Reading With Meaning
Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

might be what you need. I used Growing Readers to guide the beginning of my RW but now I use Reading With Meaning by Debbie Miller. I thinking that you are probably talking about The Units of Study when you say you want something layed out like writing is, and as far as I know there is nothing that straight forward written yet. Miller's book will help you will teaching the comprehension strategies. She has a chapter for each strategy, starting with Connections. She doesn't lay it out mini-lesson for mini-lesson, but it is a great book! It has really shaped my teaching (not changed it as most say, b/c I'm a first year teacher).

I believe the website is readinglady.com and it has a bunch of stuff to help with the comprehension strategies (look of the mosaic listserv when you get on the site). Also in Reading With Meaning Miller as a few examples of how her students showed their thinking ect. after each strategy/chapter. That is where I got the lay out for a lot of my "record your thinking" sheets.

Let me know if I can be of any more help! Hope I was able to answer so of your questions

kaycee1128

Also...
Old 02-11-2007, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check out the blog "once upon a readers workshop"

lovebug422

Old 02-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the input - I went to our school's lending library and re-checked out Debbie Miller's book. I've been using Growing Readers (started about two months ago) and found that my kids are well beyond mini-lessons on decoding strategies. I had read parts of Debbie Miller's book at the start of the school year - but put it aside when I was busy leveling/organizing my classroom library.

I'm ready to take it full-throttle now, and after scanning DM's book - I can see how this will definitely help me out.

I checked out the blog - it's awesome!

Thanks girls!
Holly