Sunflower Room

The Daily Five Book Discussion

>

grade4curlyQ

The Daily Five Book Discussion
Old 02-18-2007, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone!
I'm reading The Daily Five and have a few questions for anyone that might use The Daily Five Literacy Block.
I appreciate any insight you can give!

I've heard that if a teacher is going to fully maximize the benefits of this literacy block, they should follow all of the components as suggested. Not just implement the features they choose to implement. I haven't built up any resources for the 'listen to reading' component. I could easily work in the other four. Would you recommend waiting until I build up the listening library to fully implement the schedule or can I begin with the other four and gradually add in the 'listening'?

Also, I been teaching the children the 5 finger 'just right' method all year. However I think a refresher lesson using "I PICK" would be a better way to explicitly model the importance of 'good fit' books. Would the "I PICK" anchor lesson confuse the 5 finger procedure the children currently use? (I'm thinking "I PICK" would reinforce the purpose of the 5 finger method.) Would you go ahead and do an anchor lesson on it at this point in the year?

How do you curb the "constant shoppers" (new term to me, however it clearly applies to 3 of my students)?

Again, Thanks!

cachilders

Me too!
Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I, too, have just bought the Daily Five. I'm trying to internalize it all right now. I also have very few books to listen to. Especially at third grade level. I'm anxious to hear from those who use this method.

grade4curlyQ

Finished
Old 02-20-2007, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi cachilders's
I've finished the book. At the very end, last page, it refers to adapting the methods for the intermediate level. I've already lent the book to a friend, so I'm going on memory right now.......I think for 4th grade and up they suggested that we use read to self, read to someone, and work on writing. So actually, if I could only implement those, it wouldn't be as if I was restructuring the literacy model at all!

I still believe it would be immensely useful to develop a small listening library. I purchased a few audiotapes and Cd's online this weekend. Also since the textbooks come with audiotapes and Cd's now, these might be a useful resource for the listening library.

I hope you enjoy the book and learn as much as I feel I did from it! Good Reading!

eloise

Daily 5
Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been using the Daily Five in my 2nd grade classroom with a lot of success. I did introduce the I PICK method after we already used the 5-finger rule and it worked out fine - They just know to use the 5-finger rule when they are looking at the K (Know most of the words). *I am assuming you mean the same 5-finger rule - holding up one finger for each word you don't know??* We actually just had a "refresher" on I PICK today because some students have gotten lazy about using it to pick books so I think you would be fine to introduce it now.

I do not follow all of the components exactly as they are in the book - I wish I had that much time to teach reading!! I do the Read to Self, Word Work and Writing every day and the Listen to Reading and Read to Someone I sort of combine so that they switch off on these two. (Sometimes the Writing and Word Work are combined as well depending on what we are working on) I think you would be fine to start now and add the listening in later. You could even have your students create some books on tape to add to your listening library.

As for "constant shoppers" - my students each have a Book Box (cardboard magazine files) that they fill once a week (around 6 -7 books). During Read to Self, they are only reading from their Book Box so there is no need to find a book first.

Hope this helps!

grade4curlyQ

Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It does help! Just knowing how it's working for another person is inspirational. I haven't started using the components as they are addressed in the book. I've done so much reading these past few months that I needed to let a great deal of it sink in.......
Otherwise known as sabbatical.
I too have found that the once per week method is working best for my classroom. It's a very small room . 20'x20' with 25 4th graders. Shopping daily would simply not allow all of the floor readers to sprawl out as they have become accustomed to. Part of the 'see what works for my own room' theology I guess.
You must have many more books in your classroom library than I have in mine to allow 6 books per child each time they shop. I haven't bought containers for their books yet. I'd like to for next year. However, they do take their 4-5 books to their desks and keep up with them pretty well. They bring them to the floor and are constantly reading when they finish other work and wait on the class. This has been a nice reward of having a classroom library. They are choosing what THEY ENJOY reading and are hooked on their books. I find myself having to remind them to put them down during instruction!
I'd prefer to use the I PICK method next year though. It's more reliable. Bookmuncher's method has been VERY helpful as well! She has an analogy to a bicycle ride. I could also see the I PICK method tied to 'a road with potholes in it' analogy as well.
I found their anchor lessons to be VERY easy to apply since they modeled them so well in the book!
Your idea of creating tapes intrigues me. Many projects to plan.

eloise

Old 03-24-2007, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You can buy blank tapes that are any length you want. I bought some that are 10 minutes on each side which seem to be a good length to record most picture books. They are relatively cheap (as opposed to buying the 60 or 90-minute ones). I can't remember exactly where I bought them, but you can Google "blank tapes" and find a few resources.

grade4curlyQ

Love it!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Great Idea! Another summer project that I can't wait to get started on!
ELA baby!

ELA baby!

Teacher
Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Grade4curlyqs,
I've been using the Daily 5 in my classroom this year. I try to stay true to it. I do teach 1st grade, so I know it's a lot different than 4th, but instead of book boxes we use book bags. The kids bring in a reusable grocery bag and place all of their books in it weekly. they each have a spot to hang the bags. Just something to think about. Love the 5 though!!!!!!

kinderdebt

kinderdebt

Adapting Daily 5
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

HI CurlyQ,

I've been using Daily 5 for a year now, and I don't see any reason not to adapt it to your classroom's needs. I have a k-2 emotionally impaired classroom, and the Daily 5 works AWESOME with my kids. I think the best thing about it is that it CAN be flexible. My kids don't have the patience to do all 5 components, so we only do 3 blocks each day. We don't do Writing during Daily 5, because my district requires a separate Writer's Workshop process which we do at another time during the day. So I don't see any reason why you can't start with the other 4 components and add the listening in later. (One great way I've found to build up your listening center library is to just pop a tape in and record yourself reading to the class. I do it during Shared Reading time, so the kids are reading a big book along with me. They love to hear their own voices on tape! Just invest in some of those 15 minute tapes and you've got an instant library)

The constant shopping is a problem. I've solved it by only letting one child shop at a time, once a week (my class is very small so you'd have to adapt). They have to be done shopping in a certain amount of time and then they have to wait until the next week to shop again. I may add some books to their box if they don't have enough to keep them busy. If it's still a big problem, I take away the privilege of shopping for awhile and choose the books myself. They hate that, so they usually do it quicker the next time.

I think the program is awesome.
Debbie

kristinvandro

kristinvandro

Daily 5/work stations
Old 07-26-2012, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi all,
I also teach kindergarten and am going to start Daily 5 this year with them. How did you fill up the kids book boxes in the beginning of the year? It says in the book to have them ready to go in the beginning of the year.

Also, do any of you do Daily 5 and work stations (Debbie Diller)?

I would like to try and incorporate both but not sure if I will have enough time!

Kristinvandro#gmail.com

cvt

D5
Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

kristinvandro, check out the Peony Room. That room is specifically for Daily 5.

In the beginning of the year, you can fill up the book boxes with simple picture books. They don't have to be at the students' level. Good books to put in are books with songs or rhymes (Humpty Dumpty, The Wheels on the Bus, etc.) that the children are familiar with or are learning in your class.

The point of the book boxes at the beginning of the year is for the students to learn how to get the box, find their place in the classroom, build stamina by "reading" the books, and return the box to the shelves once time is up.

Once you do Daily 5, you really do not need to do Debbie Diller. The D5 replaces "centers" or "stations." Debbie Diller is a good resource for designing the spaces in your room as well as storage.