Help

Sunflower Room

Dilemma - Lengthy

>

shantina

Dilemma - Lengthy
Old 03-17-2007, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a 2nd grade teacher and I have been teaching for 7 years. During my graduate school courses, I was taught guided reading (the Fountas and Pinnel) way. I do believe in GR but for the past 2 years I have been reading RWM (Miller) and I am in love with it. I have been teaching the strategies during my read alouds and then reinforcing them in GR groups and during SSR (silent sustained reading). The problem is that I don't think the children are having enough independent reading time as it would be if they were in a "true" reader's workshop. I am required to to do GR the Fountas and Pinnel way per county requirements and I do see the benefits of this such as discussions around the same text, the sense of community when everyone is working on the topic, exposure to different genres of text that the kids may not have picked up before). My reading group levels range from a E to a P. But, I also definitely see the benefits of Reader's Workshop the Miller way. I'm just not sure how to incorporate the 2. The majority of my kids are great reading thinkers and I am very proud of the progress that they have made but I believe that they could go even further if I could figure out the balance. I've been trying for months but can't find the right fit. If you have any ideas or advice I would greatly appreciate it. If it helps, a schedule of my LA block is listed below.

10:40-11:00 Read Aloud/Comprehension Strategy Focus
11:00-11:25 GR group 1
11:25-11:50 GR group 2
(I have a co-teacher during this time who also pulls 2 reading groups.)
Lunch/Recess/Related Arts
1:40-2:00 SSR
2:00-2:20 Word Work
2:20-3:00 Writing

heather818

quick questions
Old 03-18-2007, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello, Shantina. I have also spent time on this same fence, and have landed mostly on the the Reading Workshop (Miller-like) side. I had a couple of questions...

1. Do you have to do F and P all 5 days of your week?
2. Is it required for you or the co-teacher to see each group every day?
3. Is the 25 minute meeting with the group a "non-negotiable"?
4. Are the children doing centers or work stations during your small groups?

shantina

Old 03-18-2007, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for responding!

I am required to meet with my below grade level kids everyday for GR. My on and above kids should be met with atleast 3 times a week. When the students are not with me or with my co-teacher, they are reading independently, at the listening center or if needed with another teacher for word work or fluency interventions.

benteach

Your schedule sounds great!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You seem to have all the components covered - as well as being able to have your BL students being seen 2x each day - maybe add some written response or independent literacy projects that the students can use to extend what they are reading....Scholastic has a couple good books to use with making extensions.....do you use journals with the class - in which they write down their observations/thoughts about what they read (somtimes in a letter) and you write back to them - asking them questions? That could be a higher-level expectation that could help them think even more to be ready for intermediate grades.