Fourth Grade

Beginning of the Year Assessments...

>

BetheChange4

BetheChange4

Beginning of the Year Assessments...
Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any ideas on good beginning of the year assessments? We have Treasures and AIMSweb but it just doesn't give enough info. Any thoughts???? If you have any homemade stuff too I would love a copy.
Thanks in advance!

stilllovingit

Best reading assessment ever . . .
Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use a book, Three Minute Reading Assessments. Authors are Nancy Paduk and Tim Rasinski. Better still, you can purchase the book through Amazon for just ten bucks!!

I get a lot of information from these assessments. There are four developed for each grade level, so I do one at the beginning of the year and then one toward the end of each trimester. I can really show parents what I am seeing in their child as a reader.

This assessment is SO much better than AIMS because you score the students on four fluency characteristics, so you get to use phrasing and expressiveness, not just speed. There are rubrics for all four fluency components.

After the students have read aloud for one minute, they finish reading the passage. Then, they have to tell you about the story. There is a rubric for this, too. This is also the opportunity to get much more than right/wrong answers. I can tell if a child remains engaged throughout the entire story, their level of vocabulary, do they grasp the main idea, etc.
stilllovingit is offline   Reply With Quote

ladydukes

Thanks
Old 08-12-2011, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Stilllovingit! I went on Amazon and found that book. I was looking for an assessment to do quarterly.
ladydukes is offline   Reply With Quote

kristeacher

just a question
Old 08-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I went on line to look at the book. THey have grades 1-4 and 5-8 should I get both books for fourth grade.
Thanks for the information.
kristeacher is offline   Reply With Quote