Picture books to build community or to help with rule setting - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fourth Grade

Picture books to build community or to help with rule setting

>

reedbetsy

Picture books to build community or to help with rule setting
Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for picture book read aloud ideas for the first two days of school. They do not have to be books to introduce an educational concept but want books that will help with classroom community, rules, etc...

reedbetsy is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

The Boy Who Changed the World
Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like The Boy Who Changed the World. It's not really rule setting but it does teach kids that everything they do in this world matters.
I copied and pasted from Amazon.com.

The Boy Who Changed the World opens with a young Norman Borlaug playing in his family's cornfields with his sisters. One day, Norman would grow up and use his knowledge of agriculture to save the lives of two billion people. Two billion! Norman changed the world! Or was it Henry Wallace who changed the world? Or maybe it was George Washington Carver?

This engaging story reveals the incredible truth that everything we do matters! Based on The Butterfly Effect, Andy's timeless tale shows children that even the smallest of our actions can affect all of humanity. The book is beautifully illustrated and shares the stories of Nobel Laureate Norman Borlaug, Vice President Henry Wallace, Inventor George Washington Carver, and Farmer Moses Carver. Through the stories of each, a different butterfly will appear. The book will end with a flourish of butterflies and a charge to the child that they, too, can be the boy or girl who changes the world.

desiree

A couple I read:
Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mrs. Nelson Is Missing (followed by a discussion about behavior and following rules)

The Teacher From the Black Lagoon (followed by a discussion about preconceived ideas about people or situations)

The Rainbow Fish (followed by group work to make a list of tips for friendship.. I give them each a small sparkly piece of paper that they incorporate in a fish as a scale and then they put their fish together and decorate an underwater scene....the tips are written on the top half of the poster)
desiree is offline   Reply With Quote

lambertlodge

Cook a Doodle Doo
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always start the year with Cook a Doodle Doo. It's a funny picture book that illustrates the value of trying new things, hard work, perseverance, and cooperation. Afterward we always have a special treat of "strawberry shortcake" since the animals in this story are working so hard to make this dessert in the book. It's always a hit, and we refer to it throughout the year when making text to text connections.
lambertlodge is offline   Reply With Quote

dolphin5

The Empty Pot by Demi
Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always start the year reading this book to my students. I have them help me with our classroom constitution, but tell them the first rule is always mine. I have them guess what this rule is from the book.

This is the story of a boy named Ping who, along with all the other children in the Kingdom, must grow the best flower to present to the Emperor. Ping has trouble growing the flower and must present the Emperor with the empty pot, while all the other kids have these incredible flowers. It is a story about honesty and courage. The kids always guess that "Be honest" is the first rule on our chart.

dolphin5 is offline   Reply With Quote

feelingcalm

Officer Buckle and Gloria
Old 08-13-2011, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

All of these suggestions sound great!

I also still use Officer Buckle and Gloria to talk about rules and safety and making wise decisions . . . respect . . . .
feelingcalm is offline   Reply With Quote

BetheChange4

How To Lose All Your Friends by Nancy Carlson
Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is a cute book with examples on if you don't want to have friends what to do. The kids love it and it is neat to see them see the irony in the story.
BetheChange4 is offline   Reply With Quote

littleflower

Lily's Purple Plastic Purse
Old 08-18-2011, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Great book for rules and consequences
littleflower is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

Books for community and rules
Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Mr. Peabody's Apples by Madonna - excellent book for showing how your words can hurt people and how once they are out of your mouth, they are impossible to take back. (rumors)

Crickwing by Cannon - bullying (told from the point of the victim who in turn becomes a bully and then realizes the error of his ways)
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote