Fourth Grade

lesson plans

>

mrszemog

lesson plans
Old 08-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I'm new to fourth grade and am not sure what my lesson plans should include for the first week (3 days) of school.
Any suggestions?

mrszemog is offline   Reply With Quote

dolphin5

Welcome to 4th!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The first 3 days of school I concentrate on getting to know you activities. I always read The Empty Pot to the kids and make our class constitution (the book shows the kids the rule I want ~honesty~and the rest of the rules we make up together). I have the students go to the library to check out reading books. I break them into groups and they pick a theme. Some kids make the theme posters while others draw the story titles. These are for our focus wall for the year. We also read the introduction part of the HM book.

I also read the kids How I Spent My Summer Vacation and have the kids write about their summer. This is the first piece to go on our writing board. The students also start work on their Bio Poems. I am sure there is much more, but that is all I can think of at the moment. Hope you have a great year. This is my second year teaching 4th grade and I love it.
dolphin5 is offline   Reply With Quote

bhewlettKin

First 3 day activities
Old 08-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do a friends Venn diagram with my kids. Students are paired up and given a list of questions. EX: Do you have brothers and sisters, pets, favorite color, subject, etc. Students complete the Venn diagram and illustrate. Makes for a great display.
All About Me posters
If you teach Science.... Save Fred is a must! Check out my blog for details. http://4thgradefanatic.blogspot.com/...ving-fred.html

Alot of the first few days are routines and procedures practice. Boring but necessary. We do a lot of organization of folders and notebooks as well.

Good luck with your first year in 4th. Last year was my first after 17 years in primary.... I ABSOLUTELY love it!

Becky
bhewlettKin is offline   Reply With Quote

LovingLSU

New to 4th grade
Old 08-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What subjects do you teach and what state are you in? I spend the first day organizing their materials/notebooks, putting labels on workbooks/books etc. After that, I have fill out a questionaire about them - 10 questions- and I take it up. I keep it until May and then I pass out the same questions for them to answer again. I let them share the new one and I tell them what their answer was at the beginning of school. Really neat to see how their tastes have changed. Depending on your subjects would decided what you need to include in the lesson plans.
LovingLSU is offline   Reply With Quote

galinchico

first 3 days
Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just finished the first 3 days of fourth grade....the first day was spent mostly on classroom details/rules/playground behaviors. The second day we reviewed and started into math curriculum by playing a place value game in math and some interview/get to know you activities, and some literature material. By day three we were into a full math lesson and reviewing what a paragraph includes and writing a paragraph about the summer, family or a pet. I chose these themes because the kids can relate to all of them and subject matter is taken care of, so what they are hopefully concentrating on is the mechanics of a paragraph.
Good luck on your first days back, it will go by quickly and school routines will become automatic so fast!

galinchico is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacher

Old 08-15-2011, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I attached my plans from last year (hopefully deleted all names). Of course, nothing goes according to plan on the first week of school! lol
Attached Files
File Type: doc Week 001 lesson plan 9-6.doc (44.5 KB, 181 views)
mrteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2reachu

save fred
Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Do you have an electronic copy of the flowchart for Save Fred? I would greatly appreciate a copy.

Thank you
teach2reachu is offline   Reply With Quote