Help

Fourth Grade

California Treasures

>

slaggyc

California Treasures
Old 08-15-2011, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am just starting at a new school that uses California Treasures. (I had been using HM). Can anyone share any good 4th grade sites with some helpful resources? I would greatly appreciate it!

slaggyc is offline   Reply With Quote

adbays

treasures
Old 08-21-2011, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach Treasures in Louisiana. This is a copy/paste reply to another thread about Treasures. Hopefully it will be beneficial to you.

On Monday, I introduce the voc. using powerpoints that you can find on the internet! Volunteer Sue (http://volunteersue.com/4th%20grade.htm)
(http://www.treasures reading teachers. us/) no spaces!!
(http://www.slideshare.net/sharnon007/)
(http://plew.okaloosaschools.wikispac...r4ReadingUnit1)
Teresa Wilson also has some wonderful ppts.

On Monday I also introduce the genre and skills for the week. We may break into groups and each work on a vocabulary card, which is a literacy strategy (Vermillion Parish website has the 18 literacy strategies, as well as interactives!) Or we might make flash cards or use the dominoes that you can find right there on proteacher.net. (THERE IS A GROUP JUST FOR TREASURES ON HERE!!! Some awesome teachers have shared vocabulary dominoes and tri-folds for every story!!! And I am so grateful!!!)

On Tues., I project the story on the board using the student navigator. We listen (follow along in book). I used to do "round robin reading" but it would take us 2 days to read the main selection!!! We stop and work the Tri-fold questions together. (Tri-folds can be found on proteacher.net!). If time allows, I give some independent work and start to pull groups for Interventions.

On Wednesday and Thursday, I assign independent work or pair students to read leveled readers. On Teacher pay teacher . net, Tiffany Nicely has sets of multiple choice questions for the leveled readers at only about 2.50 a set. What a deal! Students might read and work these in groups. Or they might do some of the comprehension, grammar, or spelling workbook. OR more practice on the comprehension skill that I pull from supplemental books because Treasures doesn't have much practice on the skill. Mainly just something they can do independently so that I can pull the approaching group for interventions for RTI. (Response to Interventions)

Some things I will use for RTI include the leveled readers, the fluency passage in the workbook, maybe some activity from the "gold" pages at the end of the lesson in the teacher's edition. Maybe the phonics sheets in the workbook b/c not all in the class will need that. Also, the fluency solutions CDs

Friday - on the odd weeks, I will do the leveled weekly assessment quiz. On even weeks I will give the selection test. For the selection test, I like to go over the questions, discussing test taking strategies such as underlining key words, narrowing choices, etc. Then we listen to story on CDrom one last time, following along in the book. Then they take the test, referring back to the passage (I like them to put the page # of where they found the answer). I also like to give my own vocabulary quiz each week. This helps the students that need some points to help their grade.

I have taught Treasures reading for 2 years. I have always had at least 90 minutes for reading because another teacher taught the spelling and language. This year, I have 75 minutes for reading and language combined. Therefore, I am still unsure of how I will fit it all in. But, since my standardized test (Louisiana LEAP) caters more to reading comprehension (55%), I will concentrate on reading and pull the other when I have time. If YOU have any ideas, please share

You have to understand that there is no way possible to do everything that comes with this series. For example, I do not use the flipstations.
adbays is offline   Reply With Quote

slaggyc

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you!
slaggyc is offline   Reply With Quote

JDrum

Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I noticed that nearly all of the Treasures Posts are NOT the California Treasures resources. Even though some of the stories are the same, they are not in the same unit.

Does anyone have the trifolds for California Treasures? Thanks.
JDrum is offline   Reply With Quote