Fourth Grade

Sunshine/Social Committee

>

simplysweet87

Sunshine/Social Committee
Old 08-16-2011, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey guys,
I've decided to take on the leadership role of the Social Committee at the school this year. Does anyone have any good ideas for making others feel appreciated through this committee? What are some things you normally do? Do you normally do a presentation at the beginning of the year persuading people to join?

Thanks for any ideas!

simplysweet87 is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

social committee
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We put a flier in each person's box to pay dues to social committee (almost everyone does, but a few don't). We also send out an email asking if anyone wants to help with the planning and be on the committee. I'm not on it anymore, but I do wish we/the principal, had encouraged at least 1 person from each grade level to be on it, plus a rep from specials and special ed. One year our committee had 3/5 people from one grade level.

Some things we do:
put out a card for the school to sign when there is a death in the family
gifts for admin at xmas and end of year
gifts for secretaries, nurse, counselors for their appreciation days
throw baby and wedding showers
throw a xmas and end of year party (typically someone volunteers to have it at their house, then the committee buys the main course and paper products--everyone brings a dish to share)

I wish we would do more after school get togethers--not paid for by the committee, but advertised/encouraged by them--for example, getting together for happy hour or meeting for a meal--something like "anyone who wants to is welcome to join us at X Restaurant on Tuesday for dinner at 6 pm."

Our social committee doesn't do too much for the regular staff, but we have an EXCELLENT PTO who does a lot of little things for us, that you could easily do
*loaves of bread from a local bakery right before Thanksgiving--we each get to take one home
*soup day--parents bring in soup in crockpots and we get lunch!
*we have one of those Keurig coffee pots and sometimes the PTO provides pods for people to use
*hot cocoa and tea bags in the winter are laid out for our use
*During Teacher Appreciation Week, the PTO organizes to have a parent pick up each class from lunch and take them back to the room to read to them, while the teacher gets 15 extra minutes of lunch
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

kdart711

Sunshine Group/Wellness Committee
Old 08-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our school has a "Wellness Committee" comprised of anyone who wants to join. We do a lot of the same things that Daffodils posted. We also recognize all birthdays with a special treat placed in their mailboxes. We send flowers to folks who are in the hospital or at home for an extended period of time. We've arranged with our principal to use 2 or 3 staff meetings throughout the year for wellness activities. Folks sign up for an activity such as volleyball, a woods walk/snowshoe, art activity, yoga, etc. We do Monday Morning Muffins which the committee bakes and shares. We ask for donations to the Sunshine Fund at the beginning of the year: $30 for full time, $15 for para/part time. I've been a member of this fun committee for many years. It's a lot of fun if you have plenty of people to help.
kdart711 is offline   Reply With Quote

littleflower

Sunshine
Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In addition to what was already said I set up BOO for Halloween and secret Santa. I also planned a pot luck for the night we had conferences and monthly "happy hours"
littleflower is offline   Reply With Quote

dezrt techr

Old 08-18-2011, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been in charge of our "Sunshine Club" for a few years now. In the beginning we used to to charge...but I hated handling all the money and trying to budget. So, I changed last year and do not charge. I include everyone in the bulletin board I put up in the workroom. So, when there is a special occasion I just put out a card and ask for donations to the cause. I also arrange monthly themed potlucks and other fun activities for the staff. That way every one is invited to join in. Good Luck!

dezrt techr is offline   Reply With Quote