Help

Fourth Grade

reading filler

>

roo

reading filler
Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We usually have to do computer-based reading assessments (a few of them) with the kids during week 1. Unfortunately, they've taken all of our computers to work on and they won't be back until at least week 2. We'll be doing flexible grouping for reading hopefully starting week 2 (4 teachers) so the kids who are in my homeroom won't necessarily be the kids I'll be working with for reading instruction. This means during week 1 with my homeroom, I don't really want to start something that will last multiple days. I've got procedures, routines, etc., that will fill some of my reading time, but I'm looking for something to do with my kids for one reading period. It can be fun/academic or purely academic, as long as it's reading related. My brain's still on summer break and I'm drawing a blank.
Any ideas?
TIA

roo is offline   Reply With Quote

BronxTeacher

I'd let them
Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

poke around the library and preview books they may want to read, and then I'd let them read it!
BronxTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

BronxTeacher
Old 08-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unfortunately that's already on the schedule for earlier in the day. Thanks!
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

proteach4

Stella Luna
Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a vocabulary lesson that goes with Stella Luna. I can email the lesson and the vocabulary cards that go to it if you would like. I would attach here, but don't seem to be able. I also have some powepoints on synonyms and antonyms and the such. Also, there is a great site through the screen actors guild, where the actors read stories. The link for this is www. storylineonline .net / (There should be no spaces in the web address.)
proteach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

bleeper

Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do a Fables unit the first of the year while we are doing all that assessment stuff. I can uaually find a lot of fables at the library, I also use a teacher booklet I got at a teacher store that has very short, easy to read fables. The kids do a variety of activities with the stories. My unit is about three weeks so my students actually write fable plays (I teach about play format) and they make simple stick and paper puppets, we perform these mini plays for the first graders. They love them! If I have time the students write their own fable with a moral that fits a problem they have had in their life, integrated into my writing program.

bleeper is offline   Reply With Quote