Interested in Environmental Box exchange? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fourth Grade

Interested in Environmental Box exchange?

>

SciLady

Interested in Environmental Box exchange?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I came across a really neat idea in an NSTA book that I'd love to try in order for me to expand my teaching of ecosystems. It's an "environment exchange". In a nutshell, we make an exchange group with 4-5 ecosystems represented - such as coral reef, tundra, farmland, grassland/shrubland, forest, coastland/ocean, wetlands, fresh water, etc., trying to get classrooms from different regions of the US. We brainstorm with our classes how best to represent our ecosystem with items such as soil samples, water samples, (we have to double check with state Depts. of Agri. to make sure we can do that), pressed flora samples, pictures of fauna, etc...the ideas should be unique to the eco. Only 6-10 samples in baggies mailed in a box to the other participating classes, including a "key List" for the teacher! So if there's a group of 5 total, you'd mail 4 boxes (exact replicas) and keep a box for yourself as reference. Once received, classes can examine, identify, compare/contrast, etc., and then post results through email to each class. The possibilities are really exciting. I'm in CT right by the coast, so my class(es) could do coast/ocean. I plan to write up a Word doc that gives very specific directions in terms of coordinating, mailing dates in the fall, etc. but I just wanted to test the waters to see if anyone's interested. If so, please also post what ecosystem you'd represent. Anyone interested?

SciLady is offline   Reply With Quote

New Mex Teacher

Interesting
Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This sounds really interesting. I think I may be interested. I'm in NM. so the desert would be covered. However, we are right by the mountains. Let me know more info such as timeline. Thanks. My e-mail is jalancast@yahoo.com
New Mex Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MP Teach

RE: Environmental Box Exchange
Old 07-25-2007, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would be really interested in doing this project, too. I am in IL and could do prairie samples. If you decide to do this project, email me at fitzlore@aol.com

Thanks!

Lori
MP Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

SciLady

We're all set...thanks everyone!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also posted a similar message on the science thread and got several responses. So we have a group all set to go. Groups between 5-7 are best. You might want to check there to see if you could make another group to give it a try. This is my first time doing it, so I figure trying 8-9 classes would be kind of overhwhelming. Thanks so much! Let me know if you need help.
SciLady is offline   Reply With Quote

grade4curlyQ

Anyone want to start another exchange?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wonderful idea!

I'm in Georgia - National Wildlife Refuge swamp to be exact. Is anyone interested in starting another group? Southwest, Northeast, Northwest, & Midwest needed. Plan for October exchange. PM me w/ email addresses please.

grade4curlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr.D

Environment Box Exchange
Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am very interested! I would have the Northeast covered (farming). My email address is dolph@rochester.rr.com. Thanks.
Mr.D is offline   Reply With Quote