Help

The VENT

I think this is it for me

>

Souxiekue

I think this is it for me
Old 08-23-2017, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have the worst class I think I've ever had. I've been teaching for 17 years, and this class is pushing me to my limits. They are first grade, which I've taught for many years. I have one that just sits and stares at me and just refuses (doesn't even attempt) to do his work. I was having them do STAR tests yesterday, and he was just clicking answers, without even trying to read the questions. We are only in our 3rd week, so our class work is whole group. His answers (if he puts anything) are ALWAYS wrong. Always. I mean, he's literally being given the answers.
I have another who cries numerous times a day because he doesn't want to do his classwork. He also has a mostly blank paper because he's rolling around, falling on the floor, throwing things, or eating non-edible things - everything goes in his mouth, including his fists.
I have 2 that are extremely aggressive (1 boy and 1 girl) and hit, punch, choke and push classmates constantly.
Two more that, although sweet, sit still for classwork and will just get up and start spinning, running or climbing through the room.
They fight over pencils, crayons, papers, books, you name it. They yell and scream and snatch constantly. Finally, there are about 5 SERIOUS talkers.
Now, mind you, I don't make them sit in their chairs all day. We get up and move around, do centers, go to the carpet, go to the classroom library or the school library. We have brain breaks, etc.
I really think this is it for me.

Souxiekue is offline   Reply With Quote

Same here

Same here

Old 08-23-2017, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just posted something similar except I'm 3rd Grade. I feel the same way! I feel like they get worse every year!

ConnieWI

Just a Thought...
Old 08-23-2017, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Been there, done that...

There are some groups where choice and movement only make it more difficult for the teacher, and the students just cannot handle the stimulation. You may have a group like this.

Having the expectation of staying in their chairs all day is easier to handle for the teacher and the students than choice and movement.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Last week...
Old 08-24-2017, 01:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last week there was a brief story on the news that some parents are opting to wait by one year entering their children into kindergarten. Especially for summer babies, IMO, that certainly seems like an option to be considered. The curriculum has changed so much and the testing has increased so much that it just seems almost cruel to subject little ones to the changes. I just shake my head watching a whole class of kindergarteners trying to walk in a single line, the first week of school, to the computer lab to take a test. Of course they have to be logged in which means trying to find adults to help the teacher minimize the confusion.

Back in the good old days, kindergarteners had nap time and weren't even allowed any writing instruments besides the big chunky pencils and crayons. And back in ancient times, when I went to kindergarten, kindergarten was only half days. JMO, but I think we are forced to demand too much, too soon from these little ones.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

bookbadger

Later start
Old 08-24-2017, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree, RetiredKat!

bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 08-24-2017, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Back in the good old days, kindergarteners had nap time and weren't even allowed any writing instruments besides the big chunky pencils and crayons. And back in ancient times, when I went to kindergarten, kindergarten was only half days. JMO, but I think we are forced to demand too much, too soon from these little ones.
#
Yes. And they fed us a carton of milk and a graham cracker at 10:00, let us play in the housekeeping center, and made sure we painted once a week.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

ThatDiva

Don't Give Up
Old 08-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Maybe, you can start fresh. Like a PP said, they may not be able to handle choice and a whole lot of movement. I've had classes in which I had to be almost militant in my classroom management. It didn't make for a very fun school year, but it was perfect for my peace of mind. I was also able to teach, and they were able to learn.

Let's just say that my students thoroughly enjoyed recess, lunch, and specials!
ThatDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-24-2017, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

RetiredKat, I wish we had a "like" button. I think your post is spot on!!

Souxieque, I hope some of it is just nerves in the kids, and they settle down!

The thing I would jump on first is the fighting. You need them to feel like a unified group, with some pride in their class! Next time the fighting starts, call a meeting, and talk about how that is NOT how you want "our" room to be. Ask them about what they want for their "school home" and maybe even get them suggesting things like a team name.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

I Absolutely
Old 08-24-2017, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Agree with RetiredKat!
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

It's the curriculum.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with RetireKat. The curriculum is intense, this causing children to doubt themselves and hate school.

Back in the day, times tables were taught in 5th grade. Now it's been squished down to 3rd. Does it really matter when the students learns the skill?!? We really need a teacher led revolt against the textbook/testing industry (Pearson).

3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Hotbox88

Old 08-27-2017, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I feel your pain.
Hotbox88 is offline   Reply With Quote

cloutcalt

Old 09-05-2017, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I feel for you. I feel like I can't catch a break and have another difficult class this year. Much like you, I have 4 students who will just randomly get up during whole group and start wondering the room trying to play with things. Then, I have students who are physical and hurt others (they are getting better at this those- we are a month in so there is hope!). I teach in a school with many English Language Learners so it is a challenge to get them to understand what is expected of them when they don't understand the language... :-/ Hang in there. Don't be afraid to try new things and hopefully you will find something that works!
cloutcalt is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 09-05-2017, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yikes! That sounds scary. I teach first grade as well.

Retired Kat: I laughed when you talked about the "ancient days". My district still has half day kindergarten (3 hours...including snack and sometimes recess!). We're moving towards full day as funding allows...considering in a half day program one K teacher used to teach 2 classes... now with full day we need twice as many K classes.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote