Help

The VENT

Retired teacher/tutor

>

katelaine65

Retired teacher/tutor
Old 08-23-2017, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach pre-ap students at a very large high school. I had two students last year with the same tutor. Apparently, during the summer the parents complained that I was not responsive enough with grading and emails. I wasn't told. Forward to this year, she is now telling students that she tutored last year and going to continue tutoring to get moved out of my class. This teacher is way retired. I have taught at this school for 9 years and had never heard of her. Now I have to have a meeting with the Assistant Principal and the Principal on Friday. It is so unfair that someone that has never seen me teach has the right to judge me based on if a student got the grade the parents wanted. I think she is mad that one of the students didn't get an A in my class. Sorry but you have to earn an A, which means making A's on tests. What should I do to be prepared for the meeting?

katelaine65 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

I would...
Old 08-23-2017, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ask to see the tutoring materials and lesson plans for the tutor. If she has been gone nine years, curriculum materials in your school have probably changed since she taught the class.

I would also ask how many hours a week the child is being tutored. One hour or two hours per week is not going to change a weak math student.

I would also have proof of how you communicate with students and parents.

I would also have a copy of my grade book so you can show why the child did not get an A.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

katelaine65

Thank you
Old 08-23-2017, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had not thought of asking how many hours the tutor was helping the students. She was basically going over the material that the students were given from me. I don't really think that she was creating anything new to go over with the students. When I had a parent conference with the parent, tutor and child she was given a copy of our current calendar, which could have been found online. I am just so upset that my teaching is being questioned. I know it happens I have taught advanced students for 8 years so I know the normal parent responses. This is way over the top.
katelaine65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 08-23-2017, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If the tutor promised an A that's pretty unprofessional. Ultimately it's not your fault if a tutor does not have the skills, after nine years of retirement, to instruct a student sufficiently to earn an A. Your grade book reflects the student's ability to master the tested materials. There are students on you roster who earned A's. This retired tutor needs to back off and accept responsibility for being unable to tutor effectively.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

overstepping
Old 08-23-2017, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is unacceptable and inappropriate to suggest to a student and their family to get out of anyone's class just because the former teacher's professional judgment does not agree with a current teacher's methodologies and general pedagogy.

I think that if we are talking about genuinely helping students, a meeting between yourself and the student should happen separate from the tutor. You may say that you're open to the idea of helping the student with a tutor but it's not necessary.

The hand that rocks the cradle right? You're right, are these students doing what they need to get done by approaching you first? Is a tutor really necessary? I can understand utilizing a tutor if a student falls behind due to excessive absences. Did the students cover the basic?

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote