Help

The VENT

Horrible parent

>

learn

Horrible parent
Old 08-24-2017, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How would you handle a parent whom is always blaming their kid for being late and not doing AR? How can I possibly handle this parent I've had for two years and they continue to tell me "you know it is my son's/daughter's fault we are late to school every day because they are reading their book, or they chose NOT to do their AR reading or school project?

REally lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about "YOU" do the parenting! Mind you the lady is a liar only because her kids are so adorable and kind and cute. One of them told me one day, my mom and dad won't sign my planner so I can test, they always forget or tell me to wait....

UNREAL!!! I made it a point to be on this lady is her son is late everyday. But any other suggestions on the topic above?

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Responsibility
Old 08-24-2017, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No need to argue about it. If the parent says that the child is the cause of the tardiness, then why not believe the parent? The parent has clearly just given you the OK to assign consequences to the child.

Actually, I remember a teacher calling me once because my young son was late for school. He walked to school (less than 2 blocks) and he left the house in plenty of time. I told the teacher that I would talk to him. But my question for her was, "What is the consequence at school for being late?" She had no answer--and that was why he was late. It didn't really make any difference.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

MsFrost

School procedures
Old 08-24-2017, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does your school have procedures set for tardiness? At every school that I've worked in, a specific number of tardies is equivalent to an absence; after a certain number of absences, the student is referred to the district's truancy department and is then handled from there with legal recourse (fines, fees, and jail time in extreme circumstances). We also have certain staff members to call families of students who are chronically tardy or absent.

My school is also offering incentives for students who arrive on time. The rewards can be free in-class things, candy, recognition, cool school supplies, and then monthly rewards to classes with all students present on time and/or perfect attendance like extra recess, Sno-Kone or popcorn parties.

Is there something that you could implement in your own classroom? I don't know that incentives will work with these parents, though. Sadly, it seems like they're unmoved or unaffected by their childrens' problems.
MsFrost is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

learn
Old 08-24-2017, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What happened with the Facebook parent who was posting threats about you?
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

learn

Funny
Old 08-24-2017, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

check out the other post and I just wrote about it.

No PT, this lady is a liar and her husband is weird. We have had to talk to him for volunteering and being too touchy touchy with the kiddos.

The children are great, it is these parents whom DO NOT like to parent and seem lazy for their high achieving kids.

The same in my district, if so many tardies, the counselor calls, after that we sent a letter stating a department of children services will be contacted etc. I notified parents, and if any more lateness the counselor will call and from then on the other department will be notified. But I think she caught on and he has been on time the past two days.

Penguin82

Old 08-24-2017, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had a kid who missed morning work every day. I had her stay in every morning from recess to work on it. She hated it and it fixed the problem! Natural consequences plus finding what this kid gets from this. Attention? Reaction? Work avoidance? Find that one thing that he/she gets from this and give a consequence that matches that. Behavior will change. Then positives for when the kid does the appropriate behavior.
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Parent Who Lies
Old 08-25-2017, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If the parent is telling you that the child is late but is lying about it, then it is hard to give consequences to the child. I am betting the late riser is the parent, who is using the child as an excuse.

I would have your school counselor (or even you) sit down and have an intense conversation with this child. Find out the truth.

I would also inform the parent of your school's attendance policy face-to-face, and then have the parent sign the policy that the conversation has taken place.

How old is this child? I have known third graders who got up on their own each morning, made a simple breakfast, got on the bus, and arrived at school on time while the parent enjoyed sleeping late. I don't wish this situation on anyone.

Good luck. In the end, you just may need to ignore and let your school's attendance policy take its course.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

r9miles

Hmmm
Old 08-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The last poster really touched a nerve for me. When I was in college and working a full-time job I got home around 2 or 3 in the morning. My husband got my kids around for bed, packed lunches and did homework. My children got up, got ready, and ate a simple breakfast while I slept. They knew in an emergency or if they had a problem to come wake me up and they were required to give me a kiss goodbye before they left for the bus stop. I did "NOT" enjoy sleeping. I was stressed beyond belief. I missed my kids and all that I was missing, but I had to do what I had to do so that we all could survive and have an opportunity for a better life. Now guess what? I have three super productive successful kids. It is so easy to judge. But how does that build their education?

They bring what they bring. They know what they know. It is our responsibility as educators to start there.
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote

momabaarjo

Old 08-25-2017, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am a little confused...if the child is late every day why is the school office not taking care of the situation?

You are believing what the kids told you...hmmm, that is like a parent believing what the child said about the teacher. I am so confused with the child said/parent said.

If you know for a fact that the parent is not signing it on purpose or in your mind being lazy then why are you punishing the child...
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

The child is not being punished by
Old 08-25-2017, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

any means.

After I sent out an email to this parent (I had them last year because their daughter was in my class last year as well, so I know them really well), she started sending her son to school on time.

I also do the consequence thing where if they miss morning work, they have to complete it at recess. This works like a charm 97%. My kids are in kindergarten, but I have the accelerated class.

The parents since last year basically seem to blame their kids for them being lazy from my gatherings because the daughter and the son basically tell me with this cute face that their parents are sleeping in late, not remembering to sign their folders etc. So who do I believe, a child whom seems sharp and knows what they are talking about or the parents making these silly excuses? I have chosen after two years to believe the kids and come to the conclusion that the parents are not so with it. Their grandmother helped me for a month in class and kind of rolled her eyes about her son in law.

Regardless everything seems to be under control so far this year.

Hope this clarifies.