Help

The VENT

6 hrs/day lesson planning.....

>

faith729

6 hrs/day lesson planning.....
Old 08-26-2017, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Lesson planning takes me forever. I think I overthink things. I try to plan out the details of each and every lesson. It has taken me 3 days, 6 hours a day, to plan out the first 5 days for just 2 of my 10 classes. What am I doing wrong?!?! I am brand new to my school so starting from scratch. I am trying to make a yearly curriculum map for all 180 days or at least a monthly one. Then trying to plan out my day-to-day plans for the first 10 days of school at least. Its hard bc I don't know the kids or the pacing bc of their age & need....jumped up from 2nd grade to middle school. This is taking much longer than I think it is supposed to & Im getting really discouraged

faith729 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I do that
Old 08-26-2017, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

at the beginning of every year, and I've taught for 25 years. I want the first few days to be so perfect, I overthink it. Once I get to know the kids, I settle down and just scribble out my plans. The first couple of weeks are that way because we don't know what to expect the kids to respond to.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Guides?
Old 08-26-2017, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does your school district not have pacing guides? Ours are very helpful and include lesson ideas.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Too long
Old 08-26-2017, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know you are exhausted. Sorry. But it is like that in the beginning especially if you are a perfectionist. You will get faster. Hang in there.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

whipsnake

Old 08-26-2017, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm fully on-board with Linda. I've been teaching as long and I let my plans come to me organically. It's why I still love teaching; otherwise, I would have burned out long ago.

I'll make the analogy of planning a trip or vacation: too much planning can lead to far too much stress and anxiety, antithetical to its very purpose. Have fun. Enjoy the process. Approximate time, but don't account for every moment. Try to avoid obsessing over minutiae. Teaching is an art, and like life, it's best when we can relax and enjoy what is before us, in order to appreciate, and learn from, the moments that give us pleasure, understanding, clarity, and insight.

Scribble the ideas down that excite you and that make the most sense, or things you'd like to try. Don't get lost in the details, because like our best made plans, the nature of life (and teaching) is most interesting and gratifying when we are free to create as our inspiration guides the way forward.

whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Length of each class???
Old 08-26-2017, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You said you have 10 classes--how long is each class? You are teaching 6-8 resource reading in a pullout situation, correct? Do you have a reading program to follow? Use that as your guide for pacing as you write your plans. Remember too that the time that you have to teach and the kids play into whether you get through your lesson plan. Sometimes you just don't get through it and that's okay. Have you built any getting to know students into the time you have and building rapport with students? Try not to overthink each tiny detail.
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-26-2017, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've been at the same school for 5 years now and it always takes me forever to plan for the first week. I think part of it is not having as good of a feel for the students and the pace I need to go for each group, and part of me is "over planning" because I'm nervous about my first few days with students.

I also teach 10 groups per day. Here are some things that save me time:

1. I plan one day at a time. I know it seems crazy to some, but it works for me. With only planning for the next day, it doesn't feel like a crazy amount of work to do all at once, and I can make adjustments based on what happened that day in class (do I need to review something more than I thought, can I move on faster than I thought, was there an activity we didn't get to that I can just push to tomorrow?) I'm not wasting time by going back all week long to make "tweaks" to work I thought was already done.

2. My classes are fairly routine based. I have different activities that we do frequently; all I need to do is plug the new content in. Besides making planning way easier, I find that the predictable routine helps with behavior issues.

3. Don't feel like you have to plan everything down to the minute. Not only is that a lot of extra work for you, but then it will make you stressed when you're actually teaching the lesson and something you thought would take 5 minutes takes 7. This will be easier when you get to know your students. If the lesson takes longer, just do some of the activities the next day (again, if you're daily planning, you can do this without "messing up" your plans for the week). If a lesson is shorter than anticipated, just have a couple of "review activities" up your sleeve. I have a few sight word games that I'll pull out for the last few minutes of class when this happens.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Planning time
Old 08-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Changing grade levels will do that! I changed grade levels after a long time, and it was at least triple the amount of planning. I had NO IDEA what I was doing! It does get better, but it's like you are a brand new teacher all over again!
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

MsFrost

Likewise
Old 08-27-2017, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also feel like planning those first few weeks of school is the toughest. After you get the hang of it, you'll find your groove and it will come much faster!

The grade jump is a big factor, I believe. Do you have other teammates or mentors that could help? Someone like that may be able to listen to you, look over your plans, and provide some guidance for you.
MsFrost is offline   Reply With Quote