Help

The VENT

Desk piles

>

kerrysgirl

Desk piles
Old 08-31-2017, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's almost the end of week 2. I already need a snow shovel to clear the mounds of paperwork and assorted nonsense off of my desk. I can't clearly remember summer at this point.

Long year ahead, I'm afraid...

kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Same
Old 08-31-2017, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't even know what to say. Throw it away, I suppose.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Old 09-01-2017, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My desk was the same way for a long time. You get so many random papers in meetings and just dropped off, and it becomes overwhelming really fast. I don't like filing to take too long or be too complicated. This is the system that works for me now:

1) I have a junk binder that I labeled "Meeting Notes". It's all the stuff that admin drops on my desk or hands me that I don't know what to do with. It's too important to throw away, but not important enough to keep out. What's nice is that if a paper suddenly becomes important, I know where it is. Because everything is in this one ugly binder.

2) I have a "hand in bin" for students turning in work, quizzes, tests. Parent notes I take directly, but that's it. Everything else goes in the bin. That way, I can tackle the pile when I am ready for it. I've seen some teachers use the hanging color-coded class hand-in folder thing, and they love it. It was too overwhelming for me, and I just wanted something simpler. So I use a dump bin, basically. It's a paper-sized box thing.

3) I have a "hand back bin". It's a milk crate with hanging file folders. Each student has a folder. When I am done grading or if they are absent, it goes in their folder.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmary

Old 09-01-2017, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One way I try to keep the piles to a minimum is to make a point of clearing my desk off at the end of the day. Made folders and created a spot for everything which helped. Was nice to come into a cleared desk in the morning!
jeanmary is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

I Like the "Meeting Notes" Idea!
Old 09-02-2017, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks! My desk is also buried. We are getting bombarded with all these articles on careers, STEM, brain mumbo jumbo, walk-thrus, observations, and all kinds of stuff that no one has time to read. We never know what is actually important or is going to go the way of the dodo.

Oh, my favorite part is that I have a set curriculum that can't be changed. So why do they keep giving us all this curriculum stuff. I'm going to shove this crap in a binder and not bring it until observation time! Of course, there is some new kind of system that they are going to pilot. That means that a couple of unlucky teachers have their time wasted until the students get so bad that principals have no time to observe anyone!

Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote