Job Description Too Much or am I Overreacting? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Job Description Too Much or am I Overreacting?

>

msmartmus

msmartmus

Job Description Too Much or am I Overreacting?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I moved to the vacant "fine arts" position at my school this year. I am charged with teaching art (the visual arts, by teks), music (programs and theatre included, by teks) and handwriting. I have rotating groups of 20 during one period to 40 in another, at 30 minutes each. I see classes every other day.

I am writing this because I wanted to know if anyone else was attempting or had attempted this feat. I have seen lots of brilliant suggestions and theories of how to teach art or music, but not both. Many people are at smaller schools, like 2 or three teachers per grade level, we have 1 pre-k, 6 k-3. Some have 45-50 minutes for on subject. I am little lost as to how to teach effectively, and in an organized way. Any tips or tricks, or suggestions of where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Violets2

Old 09-01-2017, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just off the top of my head, could you teach each subject separately like it's done in other schools? Set aside 1-2 sessions for Music. 1-2 for Art, then perhaps 1 for handwriting (this is an odd one?? so I'd focus on fine motor skills with the little ones, then gr. 1-3 on printing/cursive form).
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-01-2017, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Every once in a while, you could create a lesson that included a piece of art with a handwriting element. For example, we draw a candle on a table and then copy a poem that relates, mount both on 12 x 18 construction paper and display.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
msmartmus

msmartmus

Thank you
Old 09-02-2017, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the reply. That is how I have been working. It is a little scary though because I'm afraid that I won't be able to prepare them for the programs with 4 or 5 songs, and also teach elements of music. They are basically starting from scratch, no prior knowledge. So I have been writing one set of plans for say monday, then teaching it again tuesday (because those are different classes) Then same for wednesday and thursday. Also, I am just doing print handwriting because they are terrible even in third, and last year they just basically were handed the workbook without having a lesson. Any other suggestions greatly welcomed!!! And thank you again.

Violets2

Old 09-03-2017, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What you're doing sounds like it should work. I'm sure that's what our Music and Art teachers do. Each grade level gets the same lesson the day/week they see them.

If you have a handwriting program/workbook, it should come with a teacher's manual. If not, can you get a copy of a workbook and follow that with them? There usually is a pattern to what letters/strokes are introduced first. I'm sure some online research can give you more details. But an entire 45-50min. block of handwriting would probably need to be supplemented with an Art or Music lesson. 30 would be doable.

Have you posted on the Music and Art teachers section of PT for more help? I'm just a classroom teacher so I'm sure they can give you more info.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep us posted

Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 09-03-2017, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Can you teach all classes art for six weeks and then music for six weeks, and just keep rotating?
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote