Help

The VENT

Class Bathroom Trips

>

Gigi814

Class Bathroom Trips
Old 09-01-2017, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I won't go into the reasons why, but I am being forced to take class bathroom trips, which I have always hated. I started timing them and we waste a total of 45 minutes of instructional time. The ELA and math curriculum we use take up 3.5 hours of our day. Then I still have to squeeze in time for other subjects as well as the multiple specials we have every day throughout the week. I would really NEED those extra 45 minutes every day. Am I alone in this? Does anyone else hate class bathroom trips?

Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 09-01-2017, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes!
2 stalls x 20 students x lining up quietly in hallway = behavior issues that could otherwise be averted
Yup - I've been there
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do class bathroom trips twice a day and it takes us 10 minutes. I used to let the kids just sign out and go, but a) we were having issues with problems in the bathroom (leaving a mess, etc) and b) the kids were taking advantage of it and going a ton. I actually prefer it. They take a book or they take work that we're working on so it's not a waste of time.

Honestly, I have no idea why it's taking 45 minutes of time. How often are you going? Unless you teach k or 1, they really only need to go once in the am and once in the pm and have them bring something productive to work on so they're not just sitting there wasting time.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ThatDiva

Bathroom Breaks
Old 09-01-2017, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I despise bathroom breaks, and I may be forced to do them as well. It's ironic that the administrative team thinks that not having bathroom breaks disrupts instructional time when it's the exact opposite. When I taught first grade, we never had a restroom break. I found that I had more time and could breathe a little without feeling rushed. I didn't have an issue with students getting in trouble or fooling around.
ThatDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

GreyhoundGirl, I teach first grade. Due to recent events, I am required to send only one student in at a time. We take three trips a day that are fifteen minutes long.

Savvy

bathroom
Old 09-01-2017, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like class breaks because then my instruction is not interrupted and I don't have to worry about anyone having an accident. At my school, we can only take one class break right after recess. Other than that, one student can go at a time.

In your case, I can see why you hate the breaks. (No that you asked, but....) Would it be possible to only do one full class break at the time when most people seem to have to go? Three breaks seems like too many (my opinion) and I would be just as upset as you seem to be because 45 minutes is way too much missed time.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 09-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Savvy, I would love to take only one trip a day. However, I am dealing with very difficult/demanding parents this year. I won't go into details but it's been a stressful and crazy year so far (and we're only two weeks in).

Savvy

Gigi814
Old 09-01-2017, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Oh no! Overly demanding parents can be very draining. Good luck on the rest of your year with them. Hopefully you have good admin that could help you out with all of the craziness!
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Reframe it
Old 09-01-2017, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You get to escape too. Can you do some stretches with the kids as they alternate through the bathroom?
You can do ONLY the stretches and movements that YOU want to do for you.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Honestly, if I were forced to do that, I would start teaching in the hallway while kids are going. I would shush anybody that was walking through the hall too.

That's just ridiculous. Can you ask admin to "help you" figure out how to do this in a timely manner?

Last year, due to time constraints, I sent kids 2 at a time during my phonics instruction. I encouraged them to be quick so they didn't miss much. My kids actually got pretty good at it and I became very good at strategically choosing who to send at the same time and who not to. (my boys needed to go 1 at a time!)

Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 09-01-2017, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

bathroom breaks...the bane of my existence at school
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Here's what we do.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have recess at 9:55. That's 2 hours after school starts. We have them get out of line on the way to recess and go to the bathroom if they need to. They don't want to miss any of their recess, so they go quickly, and head outside. Then we go again right before lunch. Everyone goes then, and washes hands for lunch. Then, we do the same as morning right before afternoon recess. That seems to do it for us.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

EllyTeaches

Old 09-02-2017, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yes. 90% of our discipline problems stem from the bathroom. I am so happy that I no longer have to do them now that we have one period instead of two.

NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS

I once had a student fight occur in the bathroom the day before an eval and felt I got slammed for it. My principal was looking to get me when he walked in the room and took that prior action into account in my eval. Irony is that he lost his job as a result of something that happened in the bathroom at an after-school event.

Karma.

We had kids peeing on the floor and wrestling on it, recording fights, fighting. Bad news. I had to tell girls not to take selfies in the bathroom the first week of school. The worst was that there was no way to monitor in the bathroom, around the bathroom, and around your room at one time.
EllyTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote