Reading Street, Treasures, or Storytown? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fourth Grade

Reading Street, Treasures, or Storytown?

>

Phelan

Reading Street, Treasures, or Storytown?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you use? Why? Do you feel it meets your students needs? What is your programs positives and negatives? Our district is looking into purchasing a basal program and I need suggestions.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you!

Phelan is offline   Reply With Quote

Teaching2nd

we have StoryTown
Old 10-24-2007, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We just got the brand spankin' new Harcourt StoryTown this year. There is a lot to it. I teach 2nd and find it hard to fit in everything they suggest. We are working our way through it. We updated from an older Harcourt series to this one.
Teaching2nd is offline   Reply With Quote

Read 4 Fun

Rigby
Old 10-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our corporation adopted Rigby this year and we are excited. We are using a literacy model that has 90 minutes of uninterrupted time for teaching LA. Rigby supports both areas of our literacy block. We begin with a 30 minute on grade level whole group lesson and then end with a 60 minute block that we use to meet with small groups. During small group time the students read from the leveled Rigby books. Irene Fountas worked with Rigby to level the books. There is a wide variety of topics in the leveled readers as well as approximately 60% nonfiction books for students to read, which usually causes problems on standardized tests.

The material is presented in themes that last 2 weeks each, the theme teaching is also brain compatible. There is just one comprehension skill taught/focused on for a two week block with some review of other comprehension skills previously taught. This is much more consistant and thorough than the scattered skills that are presented in the typical basal series. The comprehension skill then can be applied/practiced in the leveled book the children are reading in the small groups.

There is also one skill presented in the following areas similar to the way the comprehension skills are presented/taught. The other areas include word study, target skills (these focus on genre, story structure, language skills, fluency and listening), writing, and grammar.

It is a wonderfully crafted and interwoven program that supports the skills of the students.
Read 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Smoke20

Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have reading street and I do not like it at all. This is our second year using it. first of all, it is full of printing errors. our teachers manuals are different from the kids books. Too much to try to accomplish in one week. They use all the correct buzz words, differentiated instruction, guided reading groups... The assessments for each story are very difficult for the kids and the parents complain all the time about them. The workbook pages are also very difficult for the kids. The stories are great in the text book and the kids like about 90% of them. Maybe I am not using the the series the way it was meant to, I don't know. I would like to hear what others have to say. Maybe its just me.
Smoke20 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Reading Street
Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We just purchased Reading Street this year. I only previewed the grade three materials, but am working with fourth grade this year. I agree with the PP that there is an awful lot to the program. We have the New York State edition which mirrors the state tests. I like the stories, but I must say that the assessments for the stories are much more difficult than the program we had previously. I have a pretty bright class, but I find that sometimes the questions are worded strangely. I've been picking and choosing what to use from the program. I do teach alot of the concepts from the workbook with direct instruction because that seems to suit my kids best.

letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote
P. Shields

P. Shields

Reading Coach
Old 01-31-2008, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are in the process of adopting a new reading series for our county.
We are looking "hard" at Storytown and Reading Street.
I would like to know if Storytown has been effective for your all of your students especially your "strugglers?"

Also, if your K-3 teachers at your school are happy with the program. It looks like all the material may be confusing and not so "teacher friendly."

Do you use the Strategic Intervention kit with your students? Do they have decodable books to practice the phonics skills from those lessons or do you have to run those off?

Was the company good about getting you all of the materials that you were promised??? Did they give you training and Professional Dev. so that you could use the program easily?

This is an important decision for our district...and I would love to have any "feedback" from any teachers K-3 that are using either program.
P. Shields

P. Shields

Storytown or Reading Street??
Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are in the process of adopting a new reading series for our county.
We are looking "hard" at Storytown and Reading Street.
I would like to know if Storytown has been effective for your all of your students especially your "strugglers?"

Also, if your K-3 teachers at your school are happy with the program. It looks like all the material may be confusing and not so "teacher friendly."

Do you use the Strategic Intervention kit with your students? Do they have decodable books to practice the phonics skills from those lessons or do you have to run those off?

Was the company good about getting you all of the materials that you were promised??? Did they give you training and Professional Dev. so that you could use the program easily?

This is an important decision for our district...and I would love to have any "feedback" from any teachers K-3 that are using either program.
tchg1stJT

tchg1stJT

first grade teacher small rural NY school
Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My school also got the 2008 version of Storytown this year. I could echo your comments word for word. It has been frustrating to me that the reps tell you at first that you may want to use 6 days instead of 5 for each lesson. Then in Dec. they say that no, you must get to all of the stories/skills. There also is no time to to take a week for review after each unit as they originally suggested we could do, especially to focus on writing (that is very shallow within the manual). They gave us time allotment guidlines but there is NO WAY you can fit all of what the teacher's manual says to do into those guidelines. We have also had some major problems with printing errors. Have you?
I would love to get feedback from other teachers who are "working their way through" this to see how you are picking and choosing to make it time-manageable. What assessements are you using? Are you getting in all six robust vocabulary words plus memorizing all the high-frequency words?

soph

Reading Street
Old 01-04-2009, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have Reading Street as our reading program. I teach third. We are also a Reading First School, so we are structured as to what and how we can do things. We have a 90 minute uninterrupted reading block. We have used the servies for the last three years. It gets easier to use as you get more used to it. I really like the program.
soph is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinlife

Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We use Reading Street, and I really like it. It is a lot of content, but I feel like it is challenging. At the same time, I feel like there are lots of supports built in (strategic intervention leveled readers and fluency passages) for struggling readers. I differentiate a lot, so these come in very handy for me. I am not a huge fan of the assessments, but my students do well with them (I let them take open book tests). Ours is also aligned to our state core content and mirrors our test. I like the vast majority of the stories and the students seem to too. I also really like the integration of the content area reading throughout the textbook. I just pick and choose through the materials and use the things that I need to teach.

**I have not had any experience with Story Town, so I really can't give any sort of opinion about it.

luvinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
teachgirl1

teachgirl1

First Grade Teacher
Old 08-07-2009, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My first grade was chosen to pilot Storytown this past year. We will have school wide implementation this year. We were basically told what you related above. There really is no time to review after each theme.

I decided to complete each lesson in a one week period....including a couple of 4 day weeks. The whole group Get Started Story and Main selcection were always completed with no problem, as were the small books. Sometimes I would need to present 2 questions of the day....2 skills for a poem chart, etc. I didn't find it hard to present all robust vocabulary. By posting the words on the first day I was reminded to use them!

The writing element could be puzzling. I made a five page, journal type packet using the writing promps. This way I was assured that my children were writing each day.

For writing instruction, I looked ahead through the week to see what final writing piece we were to achieve for the week and included as much as I could. It wasn't possible to complete everything. For example, I didn't do the research paper that came in around lesson 25.

The students completed all benchmark assessments and theme tests. They did a couple of weekly tests for each theme. The weekly test can be given in segments...listening comp after the hardcover selections and completed by Friday...or on Monday.

I had the high frequency words printed as flashcards and introduced them immediately after the Get Started story. The "sheet" went home as a bookmark to be cut apart and studied prior to reading the main selection.

Any new program takes longer to cover! I imagine that I will cover more this year as I become more familiar with each component and objective. The children loved Storytown and read as strongly as my previous classes!
2ndgradeteac

2ndgradeteac

Treasures Reading program
Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our school has had terrible luck with Treasures. This is our second year using the program. It does not seem to flow well with the stories. The stories don't seem to match the theme. We have had major Printing errors all through the program. I heard Harcourt is much better to follow. Does anyone use Treasures? Our 2nd grade team does not like it at all.