Help

Sunflower Room

Songs for Building Community & for Reading

>

BookMuncher

Songs for Building Community & for Reading
Old 06-13-2006, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

(See Chapter 2 thread for more details on why we started this thread)

"Radio" Songs:
Lean On Me (Marvin Gaye or Club Nouveau)
You've Got a Friend In Me
Thank you for bein a friend
that's what friends are for
with a little help from my friends (beetles)
put a little love in your heart

"Kid" Songs:
Chickery Chick
Each Of Us Is A Flower (Charlotte Diamond)

FrogLady

Old 06-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This may be a silly question, but how exactly do you incorporate the songs? What grade do you teach? Would this be something that is ok for 3rd graders? I love the song, but since I just found the message am interested in how it all works. Thanks

BookMuncher

songs
Old 06-13-2006, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

FrogLady... here's a copy from a previous post that kind of lays out the way I personally use them.

In previous years, instead of keeping one song for the year, I would teach them in about 3-5 week blocks. We dismiss at 3:38, and so at 3:30 each day, we sing the song once. It works beautifully because it can start as a shared reading, you can do mini-lessons on inferencing, making connections, mental images, etc. Then, I usually turn them into a reader's theater, so that every kid has a copy. Once they really really know it and begin to tire of it, we'll start a new one. But you can always go back to those you've learned.

I find, like you said, that if you use more popular songs, then kids will always remember their year in your class. I kind of feel like having them bond around a song, is like giving them a gift that no one can take away. Lean On Me is the best, I think! I teach my kids the "real" version first. We put the words on chart paper, and discuss what we think all the stanzas mean and draw pictures to illustrate, connections we have, etc... After they really know it, I introduce them to the Club Noveau (sp?) version. (If you haven't heard it, it's so cool! Has a funky beat) They make up a short dance to it with really cheesy first grade moves and we perform it kind of like a line dance where we continue to repeat it.

Jen L

songs...
Old 06-23-2006, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just though of the song "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". I teach 3rd and thought it would be a good BOD song.

Mrs. O

Old 06-25-2006, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I finally got my book. Are the songbooks she mentions just the sheets she types up and laminates or are they actual books with songs in them. I am thinking of typing and printing several copies of familiar children's songs to read over and sing. What are you doing for the songbook ideas?

I teach in a Christian school and I am thinking about using "This is the Day" for our BOD song. I know there are a lot of others out there that I can switch to later in the year.

Fanny

Fanny

another song
Old 06-26-2006, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How about "Reach" by Gloria Estafan? It might work for EOD rather than BOD. She wrote it for the Olympics in Atlanta. About reaching for the best in yourself ---higher, stonger, swifter....

iateach

High School Musical
Old 08-16-2006, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How about the theme song from High School Musical - "We're All In This Together"? I'm not sure it fits what you're doing it for (not familiar with Debbie Miller, was just checking out the thread). But in my room this year we're doing a teamwork theme with our motto being "We're All In This Together". We're going to do some activities, then show the clip of the movie where they sing the song. We'll give them the lyrics sheet, too. Maybe as a reward sometime we'll watch the movie. But we're going to refer to our motto all year long.
ParishBonzi

ParishBonzi

2nd 4ever!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi,
I was reading through the posts about songs and thought of someone who you might enjoy reading. I really enjoyed the book, My Teacher Rides A Harley by Gary Dulabaum. It comes with a cd full of great songs about things that happen in the classroom every day, including using reading strategies. Gary is a fun author to read and if you ever get a chance to see him speak or watch him perform, bring a hankie because he will make you laugh until you cry! I recently saw this book on half.com. I don't use all of his strategies, but his music "Rocks!"
Bonzi