Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Do you accept text speak on work?

>

fredlish

Do you accept text speak on work?
Old 10-11-2010, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My fellow teachers and I are seeing lots of text speak coming into the classroom. Students don't capitalize the first word of a sentence, don't give an end mark, and do not express complete thoughts. Getting kids to give any details is next to impossible.

One of my fellow teachers taught many of the same kids last year as she changed grade-levels this year. She says that these kids did not do this last year. We can't figure out what is going on with them. We have decided to show a united front and not accept this kind of answer. I'm sick of marking items wrong due to this reason. I've remediated twice, once to the whole class and once in small groups. I'm still getting bad answers.

Is anyone else having these issues? What ideas do you have for getting kids to improve their writing?

Do the other content areas in your building insist on complete sentence answers or is it just the English teachers who do this?

fredlish is offline   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

5th
Old 10-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are semi-departmentalized. I require complete sentences, and so does my partner teacher. She requires RAPP for short answers.

I made Vista Print stamps with various writing concerns so that I can make the students aware when they are breaking our writing rules: monitor punctuation, monitor spelling, use paragraph development, monitor capital letters, etc.
LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
MrsDriver

MrsDriver

I work...
Old 10-11-2010, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

in elementary and we do not allow this at all. Each teacher at my school teaches all core subjects so the kids can't do it one class and then in another.

I know you are tired of marking their answers wrong but you need to stick with it. They need to understand that in the real world things are not written in text talk. When they get older and want a job they are not going to do their resume/application in text talk. If they can't write correctly then they can't speak correctly and they won't get hired.

College will be very hard for them since most of the time you have to write an essay to get in.

I would get their parents involved with this. Maybe if they see to many failing grades they will force their kids to answer and write correctly.

You may also want to give some of the work back and model what you expect, even if you have done so already, do it again. Then have them rewrite all of their answers.

tcb365

Old 10-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Absolutely not! However, I've taught, re-taught, taught again how to write in complete sentences as has my co-worker who requires complete sentences in Science/S.S.

Any short answer/essay style questions require a complete sentence in my classroom.

On some work I count off half credit if it is not written in a complete sentence. If it's worth 10 points and the answer is correct but it's not a complete sentence, then they receive 5 points. Ouch...

On the Reading test it is counted wrong if it is not written in complete sentences, as there are only 2 questions they must answer in this way, the rest are multiple choice.

But, I work in a private school... I'm not sure if that would fly in our public schools here. Actually, I'm almost certain it wouldn't.

Being a private school parents are usually more involved (sometimes too much so) and once you explain these types of policies to them, they will work with their children to make sure work is done correctly.

P.S. LoriVincent - thanks for the great idea on stamps.. I hope I can remember them!
tcb365 is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

Absolutely not
Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I simply don't accept the work if it contains text speak, period. I also don't count points off, they don't care if I count off.
They do care when they have to RE-DO the entire piece of writing on their time, not my time. I have them call parents and explain why they have to re-do. I don't let them stay after school and re-do either, because I am working with students who need remedial help at that time. RE-DO is not remediation.

parker is offline   Reply With Quote

TheSuperVero

Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Some students will write ur for your or other form of text speak. It is unacceptable and students are required to write and speak in complete sentences in my class. I will make note of that and deduct points on their writing based on the rubric which counts grammar and spelling as well and content and form.
TheSuperVero is offline   Reply With Quote

fredlish

department mtg., some are reconsidering
Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I thought we had a common front on this.

Today, ironically during the state testing which does require several short answer responses from students, I get an email from one co-worker who is reconsidering requiring good sentences. She says that if a question really is testing reading comprehension why do we care about the structure of the answer. I kind of see this, but it's really rubbing me the wrong way.

I did not have time to compose a complete position on this, but I did ask her if the elementary schools required complete answers (They do.), and why shouldn't we (6-8th grade building) if they already know how to do it and it's just plain good writing, if they fall into the habit of giving junk answers how are they going to ever break it, how are they going to know how to write a longer paper if they can't even write a sentence, and how are they going to score on the state test they are taking at this moment if they give two or three word answers with no regard to standard writing? Grr. Do you have these discussions with your co-workers?
fredlish is offline   Reply With Quote

aeiouteach

Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There is a time and a place for everything. Text talk is just that: TEXT TALK! When doing traditional writing, it should not be allowed. Even though it is reading comprehension being tested, it is still essential that a student learn how to write in proper english so that he/she can do so in the real world. Think about it. As an employer, u probly wldnt wnt 2 hire ppl tht cnt rite da rite way
aeiouteach is offline   Reply With Quote