Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Figurative Language HELP!

>

tcb365

Figurative Language HELP!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A few weeks ago I found a really cool activitiy on simile and metaphors using hershey kisses. You held up a hershey kiss and had asked the students to describe it using similes and metaphors. Everytime they were able to, you tossed them a hershey kiss to enjoy. Now I cannot find it, not clue where I found it in the first place.

Can anyone help me locate this activity? Or something similar?

Also, with my 5th graders I also need to work on personification, hyperbole... does anyone have any mind blowing ideas to teach these, as my students just aren't getting it? Trade Books? Fun activities? At this point I'll take anything.

Also, any other ideas you have for simile or metaphor would be helpful.. I have a feeling this is going to take awhile to teach.... they obviously didn't get it last year!

I teach 4/5th Language Arts, but have no problem using the same activity with both graders or different activities.

P.S. Our classroom does not have internet access. Any internet activities would have to be completed in our 30 minute computer lab time on Thursday. No smart boards or projectors either. I do have powerpoint on my computer in the classroom though.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by tcb365; 10-11-2010 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: added lack of internet info
tcb365 is offline   Reply With Quote

shaddybaby

Old 10-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For hyperbole I have my kids write a fish story. We talk about how sometimes when someone goes fishing they may catch a small fish but every time they tell the story the fish grows bigger and bigger. I have fish lined paper and have the kids write their own "fish stories". Of course, they don't have to be about fishing, just a hyperbole.

We also make wanted posters for similies and metaphors. The kids put a picture of themself in the center and then use similies and metaphors to describe themselves.

These are both fun activities my kids enjoy when I work on figurative language.
shaddybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherking55

Old 10-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found this....
http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/portals...gDocTarget.pdf
Teacherking55 is offline   Reply With Quote

browniebites

Old 10-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

teacherking55-that is a GREAT resource! thanks!
browniebites is offline   Reply With Quote

TheSuperVero

Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

@Teacherking55 Amazingly awesome article (well pdf) I wanted to use alliteration. I've been teaching my 5th grade about figurative language recently and can always use more practice.

For similes and metaphors I used sentence strips and wrote cloze sentences for my students to fill in describing our 5th grade class. I used a bunch of them to decorate the door. So I have a bunch of neat words describing our class as we come in. The kids filled in the sentence strips using markers and decorated the strips to look bright and colorful. The kids love seeing their work as we walk in the door.

TheSuperVero is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherking55

Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yeah!! So happy to be of some help. I feel that I need to pay back for all the awesome things I have received off this site.

Teacherking55

SuperVero
Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Love the idea with the sentence strips! I think I might have to use that!

magnolia57

Old 10-16-2010, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use a book called "Sign of the Seahorse" by Graham Base. This book is superbly illustrated and has tons and tons of all kinds of figurative language. The story is told in poetic narrative, which also helps teach rhyme scheme, stanza, repetition, and refrain.

After we read the book and talk about the examples (I have a whole list of them!) The kids each choose one to illustrate. "The News hit Finny like an anchor from above." Kids love to draw the fish character, Finny, with an anchor hitting him.

Oh and personification? The book is about fish and other sea creatures that wear clothes and talk!

magnolia57 is offline   Reply With Quote