Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Math with a 4/5 Split

>

Harta

Math with a 4/5 Split
Old 10-17-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In my district we use math Expressions. I just got switched to a 4/5 split. I am expected to teach a 50 minute math lesson each day. One for the 4th graders and one for the 5th (100 minutes total). This means that the group that is not with me must be independently working for 50 minutes. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of activites that my students could be doing on their own. When I talked to the district the only idea they had was for me to use a fact fluency program where they take a timed test and pratice fact strategies each day (this will only take about 15 minutes daily). I have taught a couple of math games but would love to hear about other games. I would love to have some games I could print or games that could be played with cards or other common materials. The idea for the structure of my class was to have high 4th graders and low 5th graders but unfortunately there was not enough students in my class so I have 2 high 5th graders. I have been working very hard for 2 weeks to get my students to be independent. They really have a tough time when they are working together to not be loud. I currently have no help. My principal is working on getting me a para to help for 1 hour and I have a few willing parents. Does anyone have ideas of things that I could have my students do while I am teaching? My goal if for them to really get something out of this time not just having them do busy work.

Harta is offline   Reply With Quote

Rascal2

I love this site for math games
Old 10-17-2010, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://mathlearnnc.sharpschool.com/c...pageId=5051238

I have printed off several of their games. You might try setting up math centers. I really do not know how anyone with splits does it.
Rascal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

aksuz

I teach a 4/5 and use math expressions
Old 10-17-2010, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First let me say that I don't play by the rules exactly.

I give the kids, that I'm not teaching, seat work--the homework/remembering sheets. I color code the sheets to keep things straight for me. 4th gets blue like their books and 5th gets gold like their books. I ask them to do the remembering side while I'm working with the other group then we switch. I don't do the whole lesson in the teachers guide. I pick, choose and focus on the meat of the lesson.

When they finish I have a few games that are on going they can play. I also have them help others if they have been "checked out".
I divided the math expression up and don't go exactly in order. I try to keep the concepts matched up as much as possible.

If you want more info about the games I have the kids play or how I divided up the text PM me and we can talk more.
aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote

redmonkey

Old 10-18-2010, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Could you ask your principal if you could teach both classes in the same math block? You could teach 1 group for 20 minutes while the other does independent work/games and then switch for 20 minutes and have a 10 min. wrap up....

I teach k-3 ESE and I teach my K and 2nd math at the same time. I have my Ks work on counting games while I teach my 2nd grades a lesson for about 25 minutes and then my 2nd graders complete ind. practice and I teach my Ks.

If you are teaching math for 100 min a day when do you have time to teach other subjects?
redmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have 75 minutes to teach 5th-6th. I use (my own version of) Daily 5 math. There are many ideas in the groups- Daily 5 math and Guided Math.

trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote