Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Plagerism

>

mimi6

Plagerism
Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had several students turn in summer reading projects that were completely plagiarized (Sparknotes) and others just copied paragraphs word for word from the book. I gave them zeros, but in a conversation with the admin. today he said he would have been okay with a 50 if students turned something in. What would you guys have done? These are 7th-8th graders...

mimi6 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ZERO!! I don't tolerate cheating of any kind and that's some serious cheating.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPic

What's your grading policy?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We can't give a student a zero if a piece of paper was turned in. The lowest they can score on a formative or summative assessment is 50 percent. Some kids are catching on and just signing their name...
I'd have the student conferences with their parents present for the students who plagiarized.
MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

Barbryan

They have to
Old 10-23-2010, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

redo the assignment correctly, right?
Barbryan is offline   Reply With Quote

fredlish

zero
Old 10-23-2010, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"We can't give a student a zero if a piece of paper was turned in. The lowest they can score on a formative or summative assessment is 50 percent. Some kids are catching on and just signing their name..."

I do not agree with giving a student a 50% for turning something in. We have had this discussion in my building. Just as there are many ranges of passing (+100-60), there are many ranges of failing (59-0). Our teachers feel that giving a 50% for garbage work only leads to grade inflation. Yet, our administrator brings up this issue year after year. . . I honestly think that this has more to do with making his school numbers look good, (We have blank % of kids achieving in the A range, blah, blah, blah.) than it does with learning. What does a kid learn if he earns 50% for nothing?

As far as the plagiarism goes, I give kids a zero on the original but offer them a chance to do a redo for half-credit. This is actually more generous than the school policy which says that a zero is given. I explain this to my students and their parents. It usually gets them on my side as they see that I have left a door open.

fredlish is offline   Reply With Quote