Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Can't get them to do homework! Help!

>

not for this

not for this

Can't get them to do homework! Help!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an epidemic of apathetic kids, and I guess, parents this year. Over 30% of my students are missing assignments. Parents can check grades on Powerschool and can see how much work is missing. I can see how many times parents check grades. Even with parents who are checking the grades regularly, I'm not seeing any follow-through on the work.

We used to run a school-wide catch-up program at lunch. My principal this year does not want to administer it. Apparently, it took too much of his time to do it. We saw great results with the program, though. Individual teachers are trying to do catch-up on their own. However, because so many of the kids aren't doing their work, we are finding that all of us need the same kids. It just is not working.

My same-grade peers are having the same trouble with these kids. I'm looking for ways to encourage the kids to do the work without having to give them some artificial reward for doing what they should be doing in the first place. Any ideas?

Katherina

homework
Old 10-21-2010, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The upper grades use a Refocus form for late work or poor behavior choices. It isn't perfect, but works in most cases. The student fills out the form and explains what choice they have made. These sometimes are given back if they haven't filled it out honestly or completely. Then they sign, the teacher signs, and the parent must sign. Ideally this is returned the next day. These are kept track of and if they aren't returned the date/dates are recorded and sent to the parent. Most of the parents thath have children that make repeated poor choices aren't fond of this refocus form because it makes them accountable also due to the fact it is in black and white with their child writing it down.

We have also used the refocus and the student needs to take the form to the next door classroom, sit at a back table to fill out the form, and then wait until the teacher has time to visit and check over the form before they are sent back to their room. Usually this only has to happen a couple of times, because they do not like to go to another room and wait. If they make "trouble" in the other room, they automatically go to the office for a referral.

On a positive note, I use a Bingo board and/or tickets for AR goals, completing work on tiem, volunteering, good choices etc. which works for most students.

I have found in my career, no system is perfect...I keep trying
Katherina is offline   Reply With Quote

mfl

Old 10-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Katherina,
Is there a way you could tell me more about the refocus form/scan it/email it to me? This year's class is the worst ever at returning homework. And our homework is not too tough! Thanks for the idea!
mfl is offline   Reply With Quote

fredlish

great idea
Old 10-23-2010, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love the idea of the form. This would give me a paper trail to show the parents and the administration.

Do you do anything as far as discipline if the forms are not returned to you over and over? I see that you send another notice to the parent with a log of dates. Does the student have any other discipline or is the bad grade considered enough?
fredlish is offline   Reply With Quote

BMc

Homeworkopoly
Old 10-24-2010, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't give homework but have I have used this game to keep track of in-class assignments or unfinished work. It is a reward system that kids love and students coming into my class know about it and can hardly wait to play. I have adapted it over the years, but basically if they finish all assignments from day 1-5, they get a roll of the dice on our game board.
Just google 'homeworkopoly' --all the instructions and even the template is online. I have never had a problem since I started using this game about 5 years ago.

BMc is offline   Reply With Quote

chipper12

Homework
Old 11-03-2010, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't know if you are still having trouble or if you have found a solution. I hope so, but if not this is something that I have suggested to teachers I have worked with. We created a printed punch card and each time the student returns their homework completed we punch their card with a hole punch. I would hang these close to me and where students could see them. After they get 10 or 20 punches depending on what you wish they get a free homework pass.
chipper12 is offline   Reply With Quote