Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Ideas

>

Stella

Ideas
Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Wondering if anyone has any great ideas they have used in the classroom for teaching Text to Text, Text to Self, and Text to World??

Stella is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

No great ideas
Old 10-22-2010, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

However since no one has answered I will share what I do. I use picture books to share these concepts with my students. I read the selected book aloud, introduce the topic and then we discuss the connections. It seems easier to model with picture books, but then is easy to transfer this skill to our chapter book discussions.

Text to self- find picture books you can read aloud that you know your students can relate to. It needs to be ones they feel they have had a similar situation. I like Moog Moog The Space Barber because it is about receiving a bad haircut. Most students can relate to that feeling of what t is like to have to return to school when they do not like their new haircut.
Also love Ghost's Hour, Spook's Hour as everyone has been in a storm before when the lights went out and gotten scared.

Text to Text- I set mine up for success with this one I choose two books that have one commonality. For example I read a picture book called Mandy and Mom Can't See at the same time we are reading a biography of Helen Keller. It is easy to make connections because they all have the loss of one or more of their senses. Also the read aloud chapter book I do at this time each year is about a dog that goes blind, titled The Trouble with Tuck. They are different stories but all the main characters have a handicap.

Text to world- this one is a little more difficult for me. Maybe something like The Great Kapok Tree, which teaches us to care for our rain forests of the world.

I hope I said something to help. Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Stella

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great ideas!!
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote