Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Best way to deal fornew cars?

>

Renea

Best way to deal fornew cars?
Old 10-17-2019, 07:08 AM

Suddenly we're thinking about trading in our car. We stink at dealing with sales-people. I think it's because we don't really have an idea about what the new car we want is truly worth and if the offer they are making is a good deal or not. Is there a site or purchasing strategy you refer to when you're purchasing a new car? All suggestions are welcome.

*edited to add: We're looking at a buying a new car and not trading for a used car. We know it's a better deal to purchase a used car but we're old and life is short.

Last edited by Renea; 10-17-2019 at 08:11 AM..
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 10-17-2019, 07:32 AM

Research There's a lot of good information on line. I believe this is a great time to buy a 2019 car. The dealerships with want to clear their lots of them to make room for the 2020 models. I also think the end of the months are good times to buy a car because the sales people are trying to meet their monthly quota.

You can also research the going price for the car you want in your area. Don't be afraid to drive further to a dealership for a better price. Your new car WILL be serviced at any dealership that sells your type of car.

You can test drive different cars and actually seal a deal all on line, without even having to deal one-on-one/face-to-face with a salesman.

Get a loan preapproved through your credit union before even shopping. Don't get it from the dealership. With good credit, they'll usually have a lower interest rate.

You can get more for your present car be selling it yourself instead of using it as a trade in at the dealership.

Get a firm quote from the dealership before you mention a down payment or trade in

Do NOT let them ask you "how much are you willing to spend per month a car payment loan?" They use that info to get a profit from selling you a car.

Test drive cars at the dealership on a day before you expect to buy a car. Don't give them any firm hint on type of car or even the color of a car.

Don't fall for the tactic that other people are interested in the same car as you, making you think you better act fast on a purchase. Car dealerships can get you any color, etc from other dealers and have it brought to you.

Extended warranties are hardly ever needed on today's cars and the fine print excludes a lot of items. Not worth it.

Under car rust proofing, etc is not needed, even if they try and talk you into it

Don't sign any paperwork until ALL blanks are filled in to make sure they are not adding extra costs. This is extremely important.

I'm sure you'll get more great ideas from other posters.

added: research if the dealership is having any incentives(like $1,000 of). Make sure you get them documented on the paperwork. We had a dealership that failed (on purpose) to mention the incentive. Once we mentioned it, the salesman admitted there was one, but acted mad and wanted to know just how we found out about it.... we did not buy from him as he was also wanting us to sign off on the car without filling in all the needed blanks on the form.

Last edited by LazyLake; 10-17-2019 at 07:54 AM..
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 AM

Lots of great advise!

I'll add...DO NOT tell them what you want your monthly payment to be. They will form the "deal" around that.

Just keep asking for the cost. Never accept first price.

Don't be afraid to get up and walk out if you're not happy with any piece of process...price, treatment, etc
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-17-2019, 08:17 AM

Wow, LazyLake, you’re an expert! I read your informative post twice and I’m not even buying a car. However, thanks to you (I saved your post), I’m prepared to buy when I’m ready for a new car. Huge thanks!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 10-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Dh no longer goes with me to buy a car. I don’t give in and I don’t budge. Check Kelley Blue book and edmunds.com for the dealer price. Go in with a price close to that. Don’t be talked into anything. When they give you a price, say is that the best you can do? And go from there. I have left dealerships and they called back the next day to work with me.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

Renea
Old 10-17-2019, 08:47 AM

Thank you for asking this question, and for the great advice that was given by LazyLake and others.

We are beginning to think about a car purchase, or as we call it “our forever
car” since we are older and want this to big our last major purchase before hubby retires.

Definitely will be following your post.
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-17-2019, 09:08 AM

Be sure to research what the dealer actually paid the manufacturer for the car. There are pay backs to the dealer so the sticker you see is not all there is to see. After we find that cost to the dealer we offer about five hundred dollars more for the car. Deals right now are great . We bought through Costco about a month ago.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

New Car
Old 10-17-2019, 10:21 AM

As you said, “We are old, life is too short.” DH and I are not proficient in “dealing” either. We knew we wanted a Toyota Tacoma.

That being said, try going through COSTCO. Bottom line given, and you accept or decline. Many favorable reviews.

Unfortunately, because of our rural location and being 130 miles from the nearest COSTCO, I’ve not been able to take advantage of their auto program. However, I did my homework by getting online and researching. Found that the Toyota dealer closest to us was offering the best deal and the financing was awesome.

I really feel that dealers are aware that consumers are doing their homework nowadays and can shop far outside their locale.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

dealership frustration
Old 10-17-2019, 12:20 PM

We don't do well with dealerships and have wasted too much time there. They are rarely truthful.
Last year we used a car broker that a friend recommended and loved the experience. He has years of working with dealerships and saved us some money. We never set foot on a car lot.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Buying a car
Old 10-17-2019, 03:56 PM

I went by myself, told the salesperson the exact car and color and what I was willing to spend, (I had done research first), and that my brother would sell my car for me...he owns a small used car dealership. I got exactly what I wanted including free oil changes for life (synthetic oil too). Happy as a clam!

juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-17-2019, 06:35 PM

Last time I bought a new car I pitted them against each other. Got a quote from my local dealership. Sent it to the next 2 or 3 dealerships close by to see if they could beat it. Sent those back to my local one, etc... So easy!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 10-19-2019, 10:29 AM

As Sbkangas5 said, get a written quote from the dealer. Take that quote to the other dealers. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. I recently purchased a Nissan Altima, but couldn't decide between that and a Honda Accord. The two models are comparable vehicles. Nissan went over the Honda quote line by line and said what they were willing to do. When I balked and said I was going back to Honda, they came up with a better price. If you are financing, have your financing in order before you go, BUT listen to what the dealer can do. I ended up with zero interest, but could only finance for three years, which I was willing to do.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 10-20-2019, 06:10 PM

I used Costco to buy my car. Considering the dealership i bought the car from was the only one in the state that sells this particular model (and it’s not easy for us to buy from another state)- I got an awesome price. I actually only went to the dealership to test drive the car and to get an idea of the price. I wasn’t planning on buying at that time. However, I loved the car and the price they quoted was exactly where I would have started if I was going to haggle over prices, plus they paid to have the car shipped to my island. I think I got a great deal.
Ima Spedtcher is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-20-2019, 07:05 PM

IDK, I feel like the "haggling" is all a scam. I was forced into buying a new car last January because mine was totaled. I did the thing mentioned previously where you get some online quotes and then try to pit different dealerships against each other. I had what I thought was a great deal after spending days of my time on it.

I showed up to get the car and was told they "really thought" that car was on their lot but had recently been moved to another location to be used as a rental car . They then tried to talk me into getting a white one of the same model (I wash my car maybe 2x per year, over my dead body was I getting a white one). I was furious because I'd spent money on an uber to get over there.

I ended up going to a "no haggle/once price" place. The price ended up being almost identical to the "deal" I'd negotiated at the other place, and the experience was 100x more pleasant. AND one of their salespeople drove about 20 minutes to come pick me up so I didn't have to pay for an Uber to get there.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-21-2019, 05:05 AM

Our last 2 vehicles we dealt with the dealers through email rather than in person. We actually dealt with several before one came to a price we wanted to pay.

We did go to dealers to test drive cars. We had good experiences with all the dealers except one. They were good about letting us drive and go without hassle. The Hyundai dealership will never get us to step on their property again. They were pushy and rude.

We ended up getting a slightly used car because I wanted the bells and whistles and the price for those new was out of our range. I am very happy with my 1 year old car. Don't totally think it has to be new. We saved close to 20k.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote