Help

Third Grade

Math small groups

>

bella10

Math small groups
Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi friends... I really want to figure out some kind of small group strategy with my students. I want to be able to pull my kids into groups for math, based on their skills, to introduce a concept and teach a skill, but then I don't know what to do with the others while I'm with the small group. Centers feel like so much work and preparation, I feel like there's got to be an easy, stress-free strategy for pulling kids into small groups for Math. I use the Daily Five for language arts, which I LOVE! I need something simple for Math. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bella10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Talbot5

Beth Newingham
Old 12-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Beth Newingham does a math center/rotation. I have done it too. What math program do you have?
http://blogs.scholastic.com/top_teac...-workshop.html
Talbot5 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Small Math Groups
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My team and I create small groups after each test. If a child fails the test they are put into a tutoring group. We share students, so that each child has the opportunity to learn from another teacher and her viewpoint. We keep the groups small with five or less students. We tutor each morning for thirty minutes for a week. The last day is an assessment to see if they have mastered these concepts.

The other students, who passed the exam, do a mixed review and then read while we are tutoring.

It is really helping to pull up the low math students.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

kdesoto

Choice Boards
Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I made up choice boards for my students. They have nine choices. The daily lesson is starred a must do, along with fact practice. The other must do's are different for each student, depending on his/her needs. The other choices range from practice of the current lessons or review of past lessons. I use a combination of games and task cards. This has been working very well for me so far.
kdesoto is offline   Reply With Quote

lynned

Math groups
Old 12-22-2010, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I started math groups this year for the first time since I've been teaching and I love it. The children enjoy it as well. Here's what I do. I do math groups after I have taught my whole group lesson. This way I know whether I need to pull some children for extra help. When I'm not pulling children than I'm making rounds to make sure that everyone is cooperating and rules that have been set are being followed.
1. Folder work-this has various skills that the children can work on. They work at their own pace. usually a review of skills that have been taught.(individual) I do check the children's folders and make comments or reminders. Since I have no more than 5 doing folders in any given day it's easy to check them quickly.
2. Math bingo cheap games from targets dollar bins and dollar store. group (4-6)
3. Word problems with a dry erase board for tic-tac-toe(3 students)
4. Computer games- various websites
5. Teacher led if needed
Hope this helps.

lynned is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaM

kdesota
Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Can you post an example of your choice boards? Thanks.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

kdesoto

choice boards
Old 12-23-2010, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't think I can post anything yet. I would be happy to email it to you. Just PM me your email address.
kdesoto is offline   Reply With Quote
ashlee1111111

ashlee1111111

centers
Old 12-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have several options for my students to work on while I am working with small groups. The first one I have is review a past skill/work at your seat. I choose work that the students have previously learned, but still could use ample opportunities to practice. This way, since they know how to do it, they can show independence with the task so I can devote my time to the small group. Another option I have is fact fluency. I have several activities for my students to choose from (flashcards, dice games (stratedice is a big favorite of mine/definitely worth the investment), concentration games, etc.) I give them pre-assigned partners so there is no argument over who they work with. If their partner is working with me in a group, they have to do flashcards alone. Another option is online technology. I only have 4 classroom computers, so I made an online technology schedule where each student gets one turn a week. The students can stay on the computer for the whole math rotation time (except when they are scheduled to work with me) since they only get this opportunity once a week. I set up a space on my classroom website that lists math websites they can choose from.
lynardmom
Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 PM
This message has been deleted by lynardmom.

lynardmom

choice boards
Old 12-26-2010, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

can't seem to PM you . I would like to see your boards though. My email is on my profile page if you could please email them. Thanks
lynardmom is offline   Reply With Quote

reinhjw

Old 12-28-2010, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would love to look at you choice boards as well could you email them to me? jenreinhart09 at gmail dot com

reinhjw is offline   Reply With Quote