Help

Kindergarten

Looking for ideas

>

iteachk2010

Looking for ideas
Old 01-25-2022, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Several of my students are really struggling with isolating sounds and blending sounds.

We’ve spent time working on auditory discrimination like listen to two sounds, identify if same sound / different sounds. Listening to two words, tell whether same word or different words…

We use Elkonin boxes and place a counter in the boxes as we say the sounds. We tap out sounds in words. We slide our hand down opposite shoulder-elbow-hand as we blend the sounds.

They recognize letters and know the sounds. If I say a sound, they can repeat it and even tell me the letter, but if I say a word (two- letter or three-letter words), they can’t tell me the beginning sound or ending sound that they hear.

They struggle with rhyming, too.

I need some fresh ideas to do with these students.

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-26-2022, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our district purchased Heggerty and it is wonderful for this. 10 minutes a day of phonemic awareness. Blending, segmenting, adding, deleting, substituting, rhyming, identifying beginning, medial, ending sounds, comparing words...

It sounds like your students can blend but are having difficulty segmenting and isolating sounds?
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-26-2022, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are they doing any writing at all during your phonemic awareness activities/small group lessons? Are there many nonsense word activities/lessons?Sound deletion and substitution activities?
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-26-2022, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Picture sorts
Word chaining/word ladders
Looking in a mirror as they are saying the word, to see what their mouth is actually doing
Do you do any body movements for beginning or ending sound? When we do our Heggerty each day each of those sounds (b/m/e) has a different movement and I think that helps them a lot.

Maybe it's a memory issue? They are not able to hold the sounds in their head. Do they have other issues?

I'd not worry about rhyming. Blending and segmenting are the two key skills.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 01-31-2022, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for all the responses. I am looking into the Heggerty Phonemic Awareness Program. For those of you who use it, do you just have the print curriculum or do you have the digital, too? There looks like there is an additional resource that is $39/year. Do you recommend that? I am going to download the samples I saw to look through it. We have a decent phonics program. We really need a systematic and explicit pa curriculum. Currently it is just general activities put together-kind of do what you want. I like the idea of having a daily routine.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

sevenplus

Old 02-01-2022, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My district purchased Heggerty so I never looked at pricing. I mostly use the print materials and leave a link to the day's video lesson if I have a sub.

It is new for us this year and I know several teachers play the videos instead of leading the lesson themselves. The videos are very well done, but the lessons are incredibly easy to do on your own.

Sbkangas5

Old 02-04-2022, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I am looking into the Heggerty Phonemic Awareness Program. For those of you who use it, do you just have the print curriculum or do you have the digital, too?
I just have the printed book - don't feel the need for the videos. It's super easy to implement, and at this point in the year my kids take about 5-7 minutes to do the whole thing. I also recommend Kilpatrick's book - he has lots of one minute drills that are great for small group - it focuses on one skill each time. It's great for the kids that just aren't getting it in the large group Heggerty format that does all skills every day.

iteachk2010

Old 02-05-2022, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was able to briefly look at a copy of Heggerty Phonemic Awareness. I looked at the first week. Do you do each activity each day or do you pick and choose? I was thinking what my students are like in September. Some of it seems hard for September since my low group struggled with it in February.

I tried out the first 3 days of lesson activities this week with my low group. Letter naming/sound, rhyming, blending and segmenting compound words, word/initial sound went okay. They struggled with word/final sound and word substitution. They got confused with intial and final sound-even though the activities were not back to back. They could not understand the word substitution. I anticipate it will get easier once they have done the routine.

Sbkangas5, which book by Kilpatrick do you recommend? Is it Equipped for Reading Success? I'd like to check out that book.

Thank you all for your help. I just got put on our district ELA Committee. The first meeting was this week. When I read the comments from the survey they did, phonemic awareness was one of the areas where teachers felt we needed to spend more time on.

sevenplus

Old 02-05-2022, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When I first looked at Heggerty, I couldn't believe they started with so many skills right off the bat. But you do all of it every day. It's the repetition. They catch on or are at least exposed to it. The ones that can't do it independently can still repeat and echo.

Sbkangas5

Old 02-05-2022, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Do you do each activity each day or do you pick and choose? I was thinking what my students are like in September. Some of it seems hard for September since my low group struggled with it in February.
I do it all every day except for the alphabet stuff (we do that in another format) and the nursery rhymes. Sometimes I don't do all of the words in each category. It IS hard in September, but we build up to doing it all.
Quote:
They struggled with word/final sound and word substitution.
This is a pretty advanced skill so I don't worry if kids aren't getting it. But I'm always surprised at how many DO get it by the end!
Quote:
Is it Equipped for Reading Success?
Yes! It's a terrific resource!