Help

The VENT

Stooooppppp

>

cruxian

Stooooppppp
Old 01-24-2022, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's the last week of the quarter. Not surprisingly several kids have recently retaken tests in order to improve their grades. This is annoying since I have to create a review assignment and a new test for them to retake it. What's getting to me today is a nice student who's literally asked like three times for me to update her grade. She emailed Friday after school (ignored that since it's the weekend); emailed again this morning. I responded and said sure, I'd update it today. I have her in class now and she asked again. I'm like honey.....you've been able to retake it for the last month/six weeks and you waited until right at the end of the quarter to retake it. I've already said I will. Please don't ask me to drop everything to do it instantly.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-24-2022, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's amazing how concerned they get about their grades the last week of the grading period when they haven't cared before. And then they expect you to drop everything to take care of it. Another reason I couldn't handle secondary.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Whyyyyyy
Old 01-24-2022, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

DH’s kids used to get really concerned about their grades the week after the end of the grading period.

“What can I do to improve my grade?”

Uh, invent a time machine and go back and care before the end of the quarter.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-24-2022, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

that's annoying!

You could add something to your policy (on the syllabus or wherever you have listed that they can retake) that it can take up to X school days to see their grade updated and they shouldn't ask until that time has passed! Might not stop the asking, but it does give you a quick place to "point" to remind them that they have to wait.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-24-2022, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'll probably have to post it again, though we went over it. Usually with kids I can say, "I'll put it in as soon as I can," and they're good. This poor girl kept asking and asking lol.

musiclover

Here's another thought
Old 01-24-2022, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am not suggesting that you drop everything and update her grade, but could this young lady be in trouble at home for her previous poor grade in your class? Maybe she's trying to show her parents she improved it. Could you talk with her very briefly and reassure her that it's getting changed but not instantly.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-24-2022, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Haha … exactly what I was thinking Musiclover. This kid is trying to get her phone privileges back!
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 01-25-2022, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

One of the disadvantages to being able to see an average go up & down during the marking period. It's not like back in our day when we just got our report cards in the mail and prayed to every god/goddess we knew of that our grades were good.

As a faculty we recently discussed the obsession that many students have for checking their grades online. There's not much one can do. If Johnny or Susie are obsessing over their scores at 2am, 3am, etc., it's an unfortunate situation out of our hands. We teachers will grade assignments when we are able. This does not mean 'immediately' just because you want to see your average become a number you can be happy with.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-25-2022, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I feel ya about the bad grades but....she had a B+ so not exactly a poor grade. I doubt her parents would take her phone away due to that, especially because she's had a B/B+ for the last 8 weeks of the quarter and only showed a sense of urgency in the grades being entered with a week left in the quarter.

WordFountain

Old 01-25-2022, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ugh that’s annoying. Instant gratification and “me” mentality at its finest

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-25-2022, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I teach elementary thank goodness. I got stuck on you have to make a review assignment before they take your “new” retest.

It doesn’t help you but honestly all these second chances don’t help the majority of kids. I see that in elementary. Why worry about putting capital letters and punctuation in your writing if you can go Back and fix it for a good grade? No wonder we have a”me first’ society. And I don’t mean it started in schools- that is probably a shared responsibility.

I would definitely put a time limit on going back and retesting to increase grades. Within 2 weeks or so. Then I would also wait until the end of that two weeks to grade and post do I could do it all at one time. Those are the things that make life tougher for teachers!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-25-2022, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Kahlua, I'm thinking of doing exactly that to be honest. I made the retake assignment because otherwise kids would just retake it without reviewing at all. I'm thinking of doing the two week retake thing moving during the next quarter. It's just too complicated and annoying otherwise.

oreocat

We developed a school policy...
Old 01-25-2022, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our school finally created a school policy for redos. The parents (not kids) wanted to redo everything if it wasn't a 100%. They have two weeks after the assignment is entered into the gradebook. It really cuts down on the end of the semester (quarter) rush!
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote