Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing or tutoring

>

lamaestra

Subbing or tutoring
Old 08-14-2009, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As summer nears its end it is more apparant to me that I miracle is not likely to happen for me to get a full time teaching position (I'm not giving up though). I have been teaching full time for the last 6 years, but apparently that will not be the case next year.

Having said that, I have options; subbing or tutoring. I like the idea of subbing because it will expose me to schools and people who may hire me in the future. Tutoring would keep me in a more consistent schedule and I can choose when and who to tutor.

I have never subbed and don't know what to expect. Even subbing jobs are in short demand in the area where I live, and tutoring seems to be abundant. How can I best promote myself to land a subbing job? What do districts look for?

Please let me know what you think would be best choice to secure a full time teaching job in the future. Would subbing or tutoring look best on my resume?

lamaestra is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Having been a classroom teacher, you havea head start! I would vote for subbing, because hoenstly, at least in my district, we ALWAYS NEED SUBS, and GOOD ONES with teaching EXPERIENCE are hard to find. They'd use you often and it would be a challenging and fulfilling placeholder until you find that next job. You can often choose which schools and days to be available for if it is in the area you taught in, your colleagues may even request you if you put in the word that you are subbing this year. Good luck!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Tutoring
Old 08-14-2009, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It seems to me that you could sub during the day and tutor in the afternoons/evenings if you want -- and decide how much of either you wanted to work.
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

wow
Old 08-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am unsure of which route to go for to improve the resume but one thing you could do if you do the tutoring route is to leave one day open for subbing as well. Many of our subs only work one day per week, then you'd have both on your resume.

Also, if you live in a large city you may look other places for employment. I was recently in Topeka and they had places that tutored but were more like a school. One was just for math. They are also those tutoring type specialized businesses. Also, local community programs also look for educators for art programs, music, theater, etc. You could also possibly look towards healthcare education programs, working for charities that educate (paid positions are possible). Just some ideas to open you up to other possibilities of educating besides traditional school classrooms.

Good luck!