Help

Substitute Teachers

Will be subbing again

>

googiebump

Will be subbing again
Old 08-12-2009, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At the end of the school year, I applied for a position that was going to be empty this school year. The woman in that position is moving to a different position in the school. Any time they needed a sub in that position, it was me. I thought it was a given that I'd get the job.

I went out to lunch yesterday with that woman and another friend from the school. In the middle of getting caught up on the latest happenings at the school, I said "Well I haven't heard anything about that position yet". They looked at each other and said "OK first of all, we want you to know that we love you and understand if you don't want to work at that school anymore".

Uhoh...this can't be good.

Then they told me the position had been filled....by another sub at the school. Someone who was rarely even subbing in the room in a different position! I was shocked. They said everybody at the school was shocked too and asking why I didn't get it. One person, not the person that makes the decision tho, said "Well obviously we can't lose our best sub!"

I went home and for about an hour, thought I was going to start crying. Then I came to a decision. I'm just back where I had been. Subbing and enjoying it. I hadn't wanted a permanent job to begin with. I only considered this one since it was my favorite place to work in the school. I decided yesterday that yes I would sub at that school...but only if it doesn't get too uncomfortable. There are other schools in this district I could work at of course. I've just only worked at this school.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Tammy

googiebump is offline   Reply With Quote

saulm02

Old 08-12-2009, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Searching for a job can be so daunting. I was in a similar position as you, though not to the same extent. I felt as though I should be able to at least interview for long term sub positions at a school that I substitute at quite frequently. The school only interviewed the building sub and educational assistants in the building. When I went to eat lunch in the teacher's lounge, all of the people who were lucky enough to get an interview were talking about their experiences. I was mortified. Then I realized that similar experiences have occurred before and I will just have to look for permanent employment in other areas. Good luck with your search.
saulm02 is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

I'd dump'em
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"...Well obviously we can't lose our best sub!"

What that phrase really means: "We don't value you enough to be anything BUT a sub."

It's an insult and I wouldn't work for them. If they ask "why?", that's what I would tell them. But....that's me.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

qudiva

My take
Old 08-13-2009, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First of all Kudo's to you that you aren't going to let anything or anybody ruin your joy. It takes a lot of effort and energy to hold grudge. Secondly - the person who remarked - ""Well obviously we can't lose our best sub!" might not have been right at all. I've heard this time and time again and I never believes it. In my experience, there are many factors going into who is hired at schools. Lots of time its who you know, or who you've been seen by. It might be an impression one administrator gets from you. There was a sub I worked with regularly. She took a 4 week position at a school and then interviewed for a full time the following year. She wasn't hired because the principal didn't think she was assertive enough. She, herself, thought she was assertive - I thought she was so-so - but it came down to what the principal thought. The principal also took into account the what the rest of the teachers from that level thought. Now the only way I found this out was from the principal herself because she's mentoring me. The principal did say that no matter if you're a great sub - if you're right for the job - you'll get hired. Its easier here to find decent subs then just the right teacher for the classrooms.
qudiva is offline   Reply With Quote

jenbasket

Sorry to hear that
Old 08-21-2009, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Tammy, I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. I am in the same boat. I interviewed at the school where I have subbed most of the year. The position needed to be filled in the middle of the year because the teacher was going on maternity leave and not coming back. I didn't hear anything, but all the teachers thought I was going to get it. I came in one day and saw a new face and found out that the new teacher had been hired over me because they didn't want to lose the best sub they ever had. I was hurt and pissed. I felt they could have at least told me.

The frustrating thing is that the new teacher could not handle the class and they kept sending me in there to calm the students down and help her. I am happy to still be working and I look forward to subbing at the same school and being with all the kids. I would miss all the happy faces that wish to see me everyday!

jenbasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Back to subbing for me, too!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

After the horrible experiences I have had subbing in March, and getting my Master's this past May, I was intent on having my own classroom for this school year.

There was a hiring freeze in NYC where I live, but I still managed to get one interview. I didn't get the position, so I applied to every private and charter school imaginable that wasn't affected by the hiring freee. No dice. So guess what I'll be doing this fall? I'm going to make the best of it, and hope that something comes up mid-year.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote