Help

Substitute Teachers

Any Suggestions? SEMS

>

COSub

Any Suggestions? SEMS
Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My sub orientation is tomorrow and the large district (5 HS plus charters/alternatives/night, oodles of middle schools, etc) uses SmartFind Express. Not sure how they use it or if they use full capabilities. I'll put in to sub for 3 HS and 3 middles closest to my home. Just wondered if you have any experience with SmartFind Express (SEMS) and can give me pointers on what kind of info to give or NOT to give.

I'm really excited to sub and am most worried about electronics in the classrooms and how not to get sued for taking their precious cell phones and MP3s.

Thanks in advance,
Tammy

COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My largest district uses SEMS, but I'm not really sure what you want to know? The way our district is set up, they only make jobs visible online if you've been requested for it (); otherwise you just have to wait for random phone calls. So I don't spend nearly as much time messing around on the SEMS website as I do on the SubFinder site that some of my other districts use.

One thing I've noticed--not sure whether this is SEMS or just my district again--is that they tend to "punish" you with a lack of future calls for being unavailable. So my advice to you is never to put in an unavailable date; just ignore the calls for that day. There have been days that I've had to shut my phone off because it was ringing off the hook as I tried to get ready for a job in another district, but it was worth it because the SEMS district would call back the next day, and I don't think they would have if I'd officially listed that date as unavailable.

As far as the electronics, I try to avoid teaching hs/ms if I possibly can, but I have subbed for several hs teachers who allow the use of MP3 players during seatwork times. Check school policy and, if possible, teacher policy.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

for us...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

tech in the classroom is a big part of the day. Most teachers who are unsure if the sub will have computer access just leave them signed on to them or a guest and have everythign st. Usually HERE they also print out a hard copy you can use as well if you can't get tech to work or just arent' comfortable with it. Remember, just do the best you can - if you can get the teachers manual or have a hard copy that will be okay - kids learns for hundreds of years w/o tech so they will not suffer and you will not be in trouble. (you might ask the central office if there are some classes you can go to for that such as ha thte paras attend, they should be free)

As for cell phones, ipods, etc in the room - you won't get sued I am sure of it. Just follow the districts policy that is in print and you will be okay. I usually get the "feeling" they are about to use them and remind themb efore I see them. I say - Remember, if I see a cell phone or an ipod I am going to take it and I will keep it with ME for the day - I'd love ot make some calls and listen to some music during my break THEN i'll turn it into the office with the recommendation you dont' get it back, oh and I am not good w/ tech stuff so I might accidently erase everything...so you'd better save it for later. " Then I smile so sweetly. I didn't have to take one tech thing all year. (at the hs I am more lax w/ ipods if the lesson is just for them to read the chapter or something indepdent for the 90 minutes as long as they ask and show me that is what they have and it isn't a phone).

Good luck!

COSub

Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I heard a saying from one AP I know...."Tag it and Bag it" for cell phones in the classroom. I just hope all the schools have a similar policy. It'll be hard if they have a different policy in each school, just my luck, I guess At my daughters school (HS) they use their Ipods during class frequently. A lot has changed.

As for SEMS, in preparation for subbing for this district, I took the online overview of the system. It seems fairly complicated but you can change it anytime. I'm just wondering how it works in some districts. Just wondering if it is better to get online to request a job or better to wait until the call comes in?

grav_def

Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Just wondering if it is better to get online to request a job or better to wait until the call comes in?
But that's what I'm saying: In my district--and again, I'm not sure if this is a SEMS thing or a PPS thing--you can't go online to look for jobs. The only jobs that will show up are ones where the teacher has requested you, and they won't give those to anyone else (until the morning of, and even then they'll call you at least once first) anyway, so it really doesn't make a difference.

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

COSub

Old 08-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Learned about the system today and we can pick jobs up from the website, phoneline or from the call out in the morns and eves. We will not be able to accept a job for a day that we cancel, but we can decline up to 3 before they say no dice! I hope it just works,