Substitute Teachers

Sub or Teacher Aide

>

signed out

signed out

Sub or Teacher Aide
Old 07-18-2009, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need a regular income for the fall. Haven't been able to find a full-time teaching job. Which would provide me with the best salary? Teacher aide or subbing? I'm in Texas and teacher aides make around $16,000 per year(not very livable) while subs make around $80-$90 per day. However with subbing there's no guarantee you'll work everyday. I'm not completely dependent on my income. My husband has a job, but we're going through some financial difficulties, so I want to get a job that will give me the most income possible until I can get a full-time teaching job.

emmasmimi

Teacher's Aide
Old 07-18-2009, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think with the Teacher's Aide position you can get any insurance benefits and I think you get sick days and paid holidays like the rest of the system teachers. At least in La. aides do.
emmasmimi is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

As far as subbing goes
Old 07-18-2009, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

let's say for estimating purposes each month has about 20 possible workdays and then if you were able to work every one of those days it would be 1800 before taxes. Times that by 9 months of school and you would be at 16,200 before taxes and that is pretty much the best case scenario. Based on that I would say being a teacher aide would be the best financially. I think my highest number of workdays in one month is 14 and that probably wasnt all full days either. If I wasn't subbing for the experience I think I would have convinced myself to apply for a teacher's aide asap!
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 07-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Definitely teacher's aide. Here in PA the aides make a whopping 92 dollars daily to my sub rate of 90 dollars per day... however, they work every day, get benefits, sick days, holidays, etc.

Really, the school personell who get the best salaries next to the teachers are the custodians and the secretaries!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote
geezer

geezer

Old 07-20-2009, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You should probably be an aide. In our district the aides don't get insurance but if they know you are certified, they call you to sub first. It would be the best of both worlds. Be prepared though, some teachers will look down their nose at you thinking you don't have a brain. I was an aide right after I moved to town and certain teachers treated me like dirt until they heard I had been hired for a teaching position.

longtimesub

Be an aide.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Be a teacher's aide...You are guaranteed to work everyday. As a sub teacher, you are NOT guaranteed to work everyday. It is difficult to make money when you are not guaranteed to work everyday...

Besides, a teacher's aide might get benefits.
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

i-sub-2

Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I make more money as a substitute. Due to my additional degrees and my many years of substitute experience, I make more money than the assistants.

I do not receive medical insurance benefits, but I am able to purchase an individual policy that is not too expensive.
i-sub-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

wnlbutterfly

Old 09-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I applied for a tech aide position two years back even though it paid less per day/hr than subbing, but because it was EVERYDAY, it would pay more overall. Not only is there no guarantee you will work everyday (I can guarantee you most likely will not), if you are new to the area it will take awhile to build up to where the teachers know and trust you and you keep busy. My first year was very lean, I am starting on my 7th year, I am one of the busier subs in the district, but I do NOT work everyday.

What I would do is get my sub certificate, take the aide job but let the principal know that you can sub, and they might just pull you from time to time to sub when they get short handed. It would be most principals dream knowing they had that backup right there.
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote