Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Anyone just want to sub

>

neanea

Old 08-03-2009, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just sub and have no intention of getting my own classroom. I put off my career for 15yrs and I feel that subbing would be the best for my whole family. Plus it has been 18 yrs since I got out of college, I feel that I am way out of touch with any new happenings in education.

neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

Barclay

I am a sub
Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I too put my career on hold while raising a family. I started subbing, then took a classroom. Ended up choosing to go back to subbing. I have gotten a lot of flak, a lot of "those looks" and misplaced sympathy. It is hard to realize that other peoples perceptions are not your reality. Most people assume you are not in a classroom because you can't handle it (in my experience)...they don't realize that subbing takes an enormous set of skills and abilities. I really enjoy subbing, and stay as busy as I want.
Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
ttt2

ttt2

thanks me too
Old 08-03-2009, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks me too. I think it's going to be much better for me overall and in the long term.

blueheron

I chose
Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

to substitute for a couple of years to take a break from full-time teaching. I was exhausted and needed time to figure out what I wanted to do next. I was even extremely picky about which long term assignments that I would accept. You know there are just certain assignments that you know are vacant because the original teacher went running away screaming from.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If I weren't going to school for my certification already, I wouldn't mind just subbing if I had a seperate income (perhaps a rich husband!) to support me. I really love all the different types of classrooms and students that I can sub in. I think you get a much wider idea of how kids work!

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lovinlife

Old 08-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am fully certified and have taught 3 years. I actually just got my masters as well...but my DH and I decided that the best option for us was for me to sub. He is a pastor and I do a lot of stuff to help him out...and when i was doing that AND teaching I was wearing myself thin. I have no intention of going back to teaching...as we are ttc and have hopes of starting a family soon.
Lovinlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Just a sub here too
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would have to go back to school and start over to become a full time teacher. After being in the same class for a couple days straight as a sub I know that I would lose my mind to do that every single day. Nope, I'm just a mom who's found a job that I'm good and at really enjoy.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Too old to do this every day
Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Subbing only for me.
I'd go nuts if I had to teach the same kids every day for a whole year.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

me! me!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am a professional substitute teacher. I have a gen. studies assoc degree however I have taken quite a few educ. courses. I do not plan on becoming a reg. teacher. I started subbing last year to see if I wanted to become a reg. teacher. My dh and I agreed I would do the 18 mo program through a private college and take out the loan for school and livign expenses and just study hard and push through it if I wanted to do this. W/ the state assist I'd have my loan paid back w/in 5 yrs. and be teachign in 18 months. However, after subbing - no thanks. I have no desire to have my own classroom. I am very happy doing this work. I also have another pt job where I work from home on my own schedule and subbing allows me to do this charity type work with ease in my schedule. I also found that teachers and principals in my dist highly desire professional subs over ret. teachers or teaching students and they have show this w/ words and actions to many of us prof. subs.

It is okay to be a professional sub. You ARE a teacher. You ARE needed in our society and you do not need to explain this to close minded people. When someone asks what you do say you are a teacher. If they ask where you teach say you are a substitute and you cover x through y grades. I have found when you put it that way and they find out that you can handle classrooms from preK to college credit senior high students they are impressed enough to shut their mouths! lol

jazzer

My husband
Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My husband has been working as a "professional sub for the past ten years and intends on doing it at least until he reaches retirement age.

He has both a bachelors and a masters degree. Neither are in education and he does not have a teaching certificate.

He originally got into it before we met. He said he was tired of the 9 to 5 grind, tired of having a boss to answer to, and felt he really had no marketable skills in the business world.

Subbing and working another contract type job has enabled him to be self employed to an extent. He works steadily in two different districts in our area and is happy with that.

I have never subbed before but am a self employed teacher with my own music education business. I spent nine years working directly for private schools but now have a service which I provide to several private schools. I agree with my husband that being slef employed is much less stressful.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote