Help

Substitute Teachers

I had forgotten...

>

happytosub

I had forgotten...
Old 08-21-2009, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I used to sub frequently at the school my kids attended (hence my sign on name). Then I found a three day Pre-K position which I love, but doesn't pay that much. I updated my sub file with the district this summer so that I could start subbing on the other two days this year. I got a call this morning to work at a school I'd never worked at. I was available so I figured why not? Wow, I had completely forgotten how hard it is to jump in and do everything on the spur of the moment! It was just the third day of school, so the kids didn't really know the routine. I didn't know where anything was. I followed the schedule that said the kids had an outclass second period (good...I'll have time to prepare the next lessons...)but when we got there the outclass teacher told us that we were supposed to come third period and that they were working out first week gliches (Ok...I'm flexible...) There was no sub for their music outclass so the plans said to have them read a given song as if it was a poem and write their own stanza. That was fine except that would have been an opportunity to use the restroom which was very far away from the room. AND even though it was fourth grade, the teacher I was subbing for teaches Middle School math at the end of the day instead of carpool. I dreaded that all day since I am not very comfortable teaching middle school. The older kids turned out to be really delightful and very patient with me as I tried to read and write geometry rules the teacher had printed from a power Point. ( I had to write them out because she would have used a smart board). The kids were asking me if I had a vision problem, so I showed them what I was working with. The letters were the size of the period in this sentence. To cap it off...someone pulled a fire alarm and we had to go out and stand in pouring rain 15 minutes before the end of the day. I am exhausted. I had completely forgotten how hard subbing is and you should all pat yourselves on the back. I am going to crawl back to my comfy preschool classroom with all my personal belongings and my ASSISTANT and try to get the courage up to sub again!

happytosub is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

subczy

wow
Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am exhausted just reading it. I have my first sub job tomorrow after being out of it since beginning of last April. I am sooo thankful it is first grade as they are usually quite nice.

I suggest you ask your central office if you can attend one of the trainings for smart board and get a computer password so you can utilize the technology in the classroom. I have foudn that teachers appreciate that I have smart board, elmo, inteliboard training a big plus when looking for a sub. Many times they can ave their whole lesson on that and I only need to click buttons!

Good luck and here's to easier days!

jnf

long term sub this week
Old 08-26-2009, 01:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't been subbing since last April too. I decided one week will not be bad, I taughter 1st graders for the last year oh but was I wrong. Different schoo, kids, teachers, parents everthing is so much hard to deal with. These are not my lessons so I don't know what the teacher wants. I want my own classroom back
jnf is offline   Reply With Quote