Substitute Teachers

Birthdays...

>

subczy

subczy

Birthdays...
Old 08-24-2009, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

oh how I dislike parties. Always have. I did childcare for years and didn't like them then either! I fake it, but honestly I don't like them. (do any teachers??) So today I get the room w/ the party. It went okay besides having WAYYYYYY too much time scheduled for it (I am horse from reading to the class!) But it is the kids who can't participate that I am so confused over.

I know, it is a reglious/family thing and I need to respect that and I do. But today, oh today - you'll love this. I have a note that says little x has to go out during the party and do 123. So I sent him to do 123 straight from recess sohe wouldn't even know we were partying. When we were done and completely picked up I sent for him. He says, "where's my cake and drink?" I said, I am sorry i had a note that said you do not celebrte b-day parties. lol He says, oh yes, I can't be there for the singing and "celebrating" of the party but I can be there for food." I tell him sorry it is all gone and I was following what the note said.

So I asked his teacher from last year. lol She said yup - h gets the treats.Woudln't you know it. I am sure his mom will be calling as x was in tears going home. *sigh* I did tell the principal what went on and that w/o a note I am all or nothing on the b day parties. I also told the teacher what went on. *sigh*

Sorry but either you can celebrate it r you can't. Having a piece of cake that says happy b-day is part of celebrating to me. Am I nuts? (I did consider sending the drink box w/ him to his 123 thing but figured it was part of the celebration too! )

Today was one of those days where I couldnt' do anythign right. At least we got our lessons done and the kids made it through w/o being sick or hurt.

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 08-25-2009, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You're absolutely right. You can't not have the cake and eat it too. *laugh* As a full time classroom teacher, birthday parties drove me crazy. I can only imagine how frustrating they are for a sub who doesn't know the kids. Maybe the party is why the teacher was out that day.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

Birthday parties for individual children
Old 08-25-2009, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

are not allowed at my school. I am so glad because those parties are so disruptive, and all that cake it fattening. Plus, I can't help but feel sorry for the students who don't have parents who show up with cupcakes for all. My school celebrates students' birthdays each month with a healthy treat and games for those students born in that month.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Not liking parties either...
Old 08-26-2009, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's a big disruption in the routine and if not handled correctly the junk ends up on the floor.

If I'm stuck with one, I tend to have the party food handed out as they're going out to recess or going home.

Vote NO on party!!
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

wnlbutterfly

Old 08-30-2009, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree, I would have done the exact same thing. That would be like a child saying they don't do Christmas celebration but they want the gift anyway. WHAT?

I guess I never thought much about the parties before, because usually if a child is bringing something for his birthday, they just bring it and they have it at snack time, it's generally not a big deal. Holidays are different, schools here plan the last hour of the day for certain holidays. The teacher I am going to do a long-term sub for said she hated Halloween parties, and she is due to deliver her baby on Halloween, she said she hopes she is on leave before that. I promised I would come and help if she was still teaching on Halloween.

I ended up subbing Halloween last year, that is probably the most disruptive party with them getting into costumes, and this school does a parade around the block. Try keeping up with your kids when they have masks on...Oh MY!

I like that idea of just doing one day a month to celebrate, that is what they do for teacher's/staff birthdays.

wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote