Help

Substitute Teachers

scared

>

cjmatlock

scared
Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am about to sub for a teacher who is out with medical issues. I adore this teacher and have subbed for him in the past many times, but his classes are usually awful. He teaches theatre and that is my area as well, and I used to be so excited to get the chance for some experience teaching my subject but he usually leaves movies. He also is a VERY relaxed teacher and allows the kids to come and go as they please and even leaves me notes telling me that "so and so" can leave early today. I always feel very uncomfortable with that but have been spineless and allowed it to happen. Well I plan on going in tommorrow and asserting myself and even trying to implement some sort of lesson plan if he doesn't have the materials. I guess I am just a bundle of nerves right this instant and wanted to get it off my chest so that I can fake a commanding presence tommorrow!!! Cross your fingers!

cjmatlock is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just out of curiosity... if the teacher's classes are usually awful, why do you like this teacher so much? Do you know him personally?
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

cjmatlock

Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

yes, he was MY teacher and is such a great person. I learned so much from him, so I find it frustrating that his classes are a handful. Also, I think the kids rebel when he is away because the atmosphere of his classes are fun and everyone else is the enemy.
cjmatlock is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't like subbing for teachers who are too much "friend" to the students and not enough teacher. There has to be discipline in a classroom for anyone to come in and take over for a day. Sounds like a great guy but a nightmare to sub for!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Well I plan on going in tommorrow and asserting myself and even trying to implement some sort of lesson plan"

You do what you want, but I just feel you are asking for trouble. Let us know how it goes for you.

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hope it goes well for you, too! However, I have dealt somewhat with classes whose regular teacher had problems with discipline... it wasn't too much fun...
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

digits

Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree. My worst experience so far was for a teacher whom the kids viewed as a friend. They actually told me I was having them do more work than she did and that I was trying to have more complex discussions on topics than she did.
digits is offline   Reply With Quote