Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Thinking about calling it quits

>

kaff39

Thinking about calling it quits
Old 03-18-2018, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been at my school for 20 years (I'm going to be 48 this summer) and it is the only place I've ever taught. I love the students, most parents and the friends I've mad there, but lately, I've been thinking that maybe it's time for me to move on.

We have undergone a lot of changes in the last year: several teachers left, including principal; my friend and fellow middle school teacher passed away very suddenly in May; our new principal doesn't trust us as a staff; I keep getting more and more responsibilities thrust upon me and the chances of us closing (I'm at a Catholic school) within the next few years is becoming more of a reality.

I know that I am not the only staff member unhappy, but I don't know if they are thinking about leaving. I have always wanted to be a teacher and I don't know what I would do if I decided to leave. Has anyone else ever felt this way? Am I burning out or just afraid of the unknown? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kathy

kaff39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I retired early from teaching at the end of last year and then went back (in a different district) at the mid-point of this year on a part time basis. I felt the way you are describing for at least the last 7-8 years that I taught full time. It's tough to decide to move on because it's a financial risk if you're not eligible for early retirement. At the same time, I spent most of my career worrying about things like layoffs, having my position cut back to part time or seeing the district I worked for go under financially. In retrospect, I think if I had been more proactive about making a change earlier, I might still be teaching full time.

One thing I discovered that I had not even focused on while I was working full time is that I was BORED! I had been in the same job for three decades. Some of the same people had been annoying me for three decades. Some of my favorite people had moved on. I didn't have the budget or the equipment to update my teaching methods to any significant extent so I was bored to death with my curriculum, too. I feel as though I have a new lease on life working for a different school. I had worked in the public school system all my career and now I'm in a Catholic school. This school is growing and if they expand their enrollment enough to be able to justify increasing my time, I wouldn't worry about whether I had enough energy to do it (although I can't work more than 65% time in this state without losing my retirement benefits.)

If your financial situation allows you to risk taking a hit financially, I'd say move on and see what happens.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

Public?
Old 05-05-2018, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you thought about switching to public school? Depending on where you live, it may be a great option for you. Good luck!
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Kim588

Kim588

Hang in there
Old 05-29-2018, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do know what you are going through and have experienced it myself. I have taught for 28 years all within the same district which I love. However, I have lived through a difficult principal and loss like you describe. I lost my friend and teacher next door to cancer 7 years ago. My three best teacher friends have retired and the entire staff that was in the school when I came is gone except for 5 staff members. Change is very hard and difficult times will come and go, but if you still enjoy the students and the teaching, find ways to reinvigorate yourself. I went back to get my master's degree this year since my last child went off to college. Taking some courses or engaging in other types of new learning to help you in the classroom can really bring back your excitement. I hope you are able to continue and get through this burn-out experience.