Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Requesting References and Letters of Recommendation

>

SwallowedAFly

Requesting References and Letters of Recommendation
Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM, to those in the know) until my only child, a daughter, was in middle school. She goes to a program for gifted students that is fifteen miles away and I have been her main source of transportation. We also have some extenuating family situations that have necessitated that I limit my work hours.

My daughter will be able to drive herself to school this year and I am applying for full time positions. Quick background, I worked in academic psychology for ten years, which includes earning a PhD. I then held a series of jobs and was finally able to spend the time and money to earn state certification in middle school science and math. That was three years ago and in those three years I have worked as a classroom assistant, long-term substitute, and day sub.

I have some questions about how things are done in public schools systems but I will limit this post to one. I am writing to the teachers and administrators with whom I have worked asking if they will serve as a reference or write a letter of recommendation for me. Here is the email that I am using. I would love to know if my approach is good or if there is a better way to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Here is one of my proposed email message (some details vary by individual):

Dear Principal/Assistant Principal/Administrator,

Happy summer!

I am contacting you because I am preparing teaching application materials, primarily for the 2019-20 school year, although there are some jobs still open for 2018-19 to which I am applying. I am state certified in Middle School Science and Math so those are the positions to which I am applying. This year I was limited by my daughter’s schedule. She is in the Program for Especially Gifted Students (PEGS) at ABC high school, we live fifteen miles away, and she doesn’t drive yet. She gets her license in July, fingers crossed. XYZ School District was able to accommodate my schedule and I worked fall quarter as a long-term substitute in middle school science and spring quarter as a long-term substitute in fourth grade science. This work was challenging but immensely rewarding.

As you probably know, many districts request that you upload at least three letters of recommendation. The letters from my teaching certification program and student teaching experience are from increasingly remote experiences. I am wondering if you would be willing to write a letter of recommendation for me based on the long-term substitute position in math intervention for Ms. Teacher during the 2016-17 school year. I do understand if you don’t have time to make this a priority. If I could list you as a reference, I would also appreciate that very much. Finally, I am also attaching my resume and always appreciate comments and feedback about it.

Warmly,

SwallowedAFly Actual Name
phone number

Last edited by SwallowedAFly; 05-29-2018 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Mentioned school districts and person by name
SwallowedAFly is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

I would
Old 05-29-2018, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ask them in person instead of sending them an email. If they agree, I would then send a follow up email thanking them and asking for the letter by a specific date.
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 05-30-2018, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think itís fine to send an email, but I would leave out the part about your daughterís school. It seems unnecessary and just serves to explain why you werenít working for a time. Donít need to Include that in this letter anyway. (You could explain that in interviews of course, but references donít need that)

Otherwise it looks great! Best of luck to you!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

SwallowedAFly

I Wish I Could
Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you, that makes sense and seems right. (I intended to, but it didn't work out.) Now that it's summer, is it possible? Do principals usually spend some time in their offices/at school in the summer?

SwallowedAFly

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ah, yes, good advice, much appreciated. Thank you and Happy Summer

Last edited by SwallowedAFly; 05-30-2018 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: post was shorter than I intended

nette25

The principals
Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know do spend time in their offices over the summer. Their hours may be limited, so I would call ahead and found out their availability if you need to meet with one.
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote