Help

Fourth Grade

Need help challenging a student

>

LuvAGoodBook

Need help challenging a student
Old 09-23-2018, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an amazingly smart girl in my class. She could be an author. Her writing is amazing! I don't know how to challenge her though. She can do any tmath I give her, even the upper grade and enrichment in just a few minutes. Her parents wanted her to skip a grade but the district decided not to. I don't want her to just sit around and read all day. Which is what he does because she finishes everything sooooo quickly. Any ideas how to push her and challenge her in ELA. Also, something that isn't too much for me to manage.

LuvAGoodBook is offline   Reply With Quote

crayon14

Old 10-14-2018, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I would have her do an independent research project. She could choose a topic related to something you study or just something she’s interested in. She can do research with a variety of sources, organize her information, write it as a report and then make some sort of visual to go with it. She can then share it with the class.
crayon14 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 10-14-2018, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know you asked about ELA, however, I was wondering about Khan Academy for Math, science or history if she has access to an iPad or laptop.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 10-15-2018, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I don't want her to just sit around and read all day.
Honestly, I think that's one of the best things a kid can do with their extra time!

But I also like the research project idea, or even encouraging her to write a book!

Ask if she has any idea what she wants to do when she grows up. - If she wants to be a teacher, for instance, maybe she could help out in a younger grade (with her parents' permission, of course!) If she wants to go into science, or history, or whatever, that would help narrow down research topics.

Maybe as enrichment in math, she could write word problems to go with what your class is studying? Exercises her math and writing skills, and kids always like problems better if they see their name and things/places they know in them.

Some of my early finishers over the years have enjoyed memorizing things as well. I had a 3rd grader get to about 30 digits of Pi one time! (There's also the periodic table, states and capitals, countries and capitals...)
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-20-2018, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like the idea of doing a research project with presentation.

klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

grace slick

gifted student
Old 04-04-2019, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Is she in the gifted program. If so, I would talk with her about arranging a project based on what is being taught in the gifted program. You could also, choose a webquest that would be on the same theme as what you are studying in class. Another option would have her create a Quizit- for one of your subject.
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote