Help

Retired Teachers

Snowbirds who rent in Fl.

>

Linda/OH

Snowbirds who rent in Fl.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are considering renting for a few weeks to see if this is what we really want to do in the winter. I've looked at the typical rental property sites (VRBO, airbnb, and some realty places too). But it is incredibly pricey for what we want-near the beach either east coast or Gulf. And we want to try a week or 2 in one place and then move on to another this upcoming year 2022. Again just to try it out. There seem to be limits and some not available unless you rent for a month or more.

Any advice for us? We're going to keep an open mind for this year
Thanks!

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 09-24-2021, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just checked out a few towns in the east coast and there is a broad range of prices. It doesn’t seem any cheaper than a hotel. I guess having the kitchen and being able to make your own food is the advantage. Looks like they are anywhere from $150 on up per night.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 09-25-2021, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is supposed to be a yearly article put out by AARP that shows how to rent short term. I saw it once a few years ago. I will try again tomorrow evening when I'm on a different device. My aunt was a snowbird. She "wintered" in Winter Harbor, Florida. Her son lived there and he just used the local paper which had temporary rentals as a section in their ads. He would scope the place out and then give her the number. (It was his wife who didn't want her to live part time in their home.)
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 09-25-2021, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here is another source for rentals:
https://www.teemingvr.com/?fbclid=Iw...Fizn0b6E6hD8t0

MathWA

Old 09-25-2021, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you thought about a condo a little farther away from the water?They will be less expensive than houses and there might be more options for short term rentals. Thus will give you a place to sleep while you explore the area.

Honestly? I recommend that you just stay in hotels for your stop and go trip. When you rent a VRBO or Airbnb, you will pay service fees, taxes and deposits in addition to the rent. These extra charges are ok if you are renting for several months in one place, but not when you are traveling town to town and only booking a week or two in each town. Thats just my take but it sounds like a fun trip and a great way to check out different areas.

MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Winter Haven
Old 09-25-2021, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I meant to say Winter Haven, not Winter Harbor. You wouldn't want to spend the winter in Winter Harbor, Maine. They used to have a commercial on tv with a sniffling fisherman from Winter Harbah. Something about some kind of soup keeping him warm.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

musiclover

Avoid bigger beach towns
Old 09-25-2021, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Avoid these towns: Daytona, New Smyrna, Cocoa Beach (east), and St. Pete, Clearwater, and anything near Anna Maria Island or Siesta Key (west).

That being said, there are many lovely small towns nearby these big, popular areas. Pass-A-Grille, Venice, Treasure Island (west), and Titusville, Sebastian, Hutchinson Island (east). I am sure there are many more. The smaller towns will have much better rates. If you decide on a bigger town,expect to pay $2,000 per week.

Your best bet would be a private condo company or a hotel that has a kitchenette. Feel free to PM me.
I live in Florida.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 09-25-2021, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Avoid these towns: Daytona, New Smyrna, Cocoa Beach (east), and St. Pete, Clearwater, and anything near Anna Maria Island or Siesta Key (west).
I would avoid Daytona because it has some sketchy areas, homeless, and a fair amount of crime. Traffic can be horrible during any bike week, biketober fest, truck week, and so on.

New Smyrna is a great area with lots of good places to eat but I guess renting could be on the pricier side. My friend lives in New Smyrna and loves it.

My neighbor has a time share in St. Pete several goes several times a year.

A do agree though, you may get a better rate in a small town that a bigger area.

fish2

Old 09-25-2021, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I live just south of Venice FL. A lot of condos and homes here have a 3 month minimum for rentals, and a lot of them are taken by returning snowbirds - some have been renting the same place for many years. Most beach areas have rental companies - try calling a couple in areas you want to visit and see what they have available. You might have better luck finding places to rent if you go during off season. Spring and Fall are amazing here! And much quieter!
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

snowbird
Old 09-29-2021, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks all for the help! I'm still trying out some of your suggestions. I was surprised that prices could be well over 1000. weekly. We enjoy having a kitchen and some space vs. staying at a hotel. But price wise a hotel with kitchenette may work too. We just want to be near the beach since that's such a major reason we enjoy the south (coming from Ohio). We love walking daily on the beach. I'll keep on looking and trying the smaller towns too. I appreciate your advice!

wildflowerz

Old 09-29-2021, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

One thing to keep in mind is that North East Florida can be cool in the winter. The further south you go the warmer you will be.

Prices are also higher in Dec, Jan, Feb. I was looking at a Christmas trip to Key West and was shocked at the cost. Then I realized it was due to snowbird season. The rates were double in the winter compared to the fall and the weekend prices were insanely high. Luckily, we are retired and flexible.

Linda/OH

Florida snowbird time
Old 10-06-2021, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

So we have a Holiday Inn club vacation scheduled in Cocoa Beach for a few days and then an airbnb condo for a week in Crystal River "Home of Manatees". Looks like an area with bike trails which we love. So we'll get some beach time, some hiking, and biking in too! I just read this winter will be cold and snowy. So we'll need to get away for sure!