Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Apple picking

>

Cat woman

Apple picking
Old 09-19-2021, 07:13 PM

For years I went to a local orchard to pick apples It was about a 15 minute drive. I could pick a grocery bag full and be there and back in an hour. I found out this year they are done with the business and cut down all the trees

So I was going to go tomorrow to another orchard a bit away from the shelter where I volunteer. I checked their FB page for hours and they are picked outó- over 10,000 people the last two weekends. That almost seems impossible!

I think I found another orchard and hope to go there tomorrow. I really want some crisp, freshly picked Cortlands!

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 09-19-2021, 07:26 PM

Can you mail me some of those Cortlands? Theyíre my favorite apples and I canít get them in NC!!!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-19-2021, 07:55 PM

10,000 people! 10,000 people! At 1 orchard on 2 weekends? Thatís about 2,500 apple pickers each day. It must be a HUGE orchard. I hope you get your apples.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 09-19-2021, 08:42 PM

Hopefully you will be able to get your fresh picked apples.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Orchard
Old 09-19-2021, 10:05 PM

We have one orchard about 45 minutes from us- it is huge. Not sure they get 2,500 people in a day but at least in the hundreds. We are going on Saturday not sure if we will go there (in my city girlís mind it was an Apple orchard vs the place we went to in years past was some Apple Trees.). The orchard is a pain as you canít get in before opening but there is no where to wait for 1/2 mile if you get there early.

rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 09-20-2021, 01:18 AM

In my town we have fruit dropping off the trees because thereís nobody to pick it. Oranges, mostly. Iíve never heard of an orchard opening to the public like that; how do they make their living? How do they make sure thereís no damage?
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 09-20-2021, 03:06 AM

That's crazy! I live in Apple Country, on the shores of Lake Ontario in Western NY. You can't throw a stone without hitting an apple tree lol. I went for a walk in the orchards behind my best friend's house last night and picked a bunch of fresh Cortlands --- my favorite, too!

I hope you get your apples today!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We used to go apple picking with my dad.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:51 AM

He liked to take the grandkids, and they loved going. He’d buy bushels of apples and give them to me and my brothers and sisters’ families. He’d just keep a few for himself. He didn’t want to eat that many. Just wanted to pick them. Great memories.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Tiamat
Old 09-20-2021, 05:35 AM

I live in Wisconsin and pick your own orchards are fairly common. The one I used to go to had signs telling you not to climb the trees and would have a tractor pulling a tram that would drive you out to the rows of trees. Each tree had a ribbon designating what kind of tree is was. There would be those long poles with a basket type thing on the end to get apples that were out of reach, but truthfully I just walked up and down the rows and picked those within reach. And of course, I would have to do a taste test Then the tractor came through to take people back to weigh and pay. The little storefront had baked goods and various other food items, as well as already picked apples for those not wanting to pick their own. They sold pumpkins and had a petting zoo, too. They had pickers come through to pick up the fallen apples and those were sold as with windfalls or deer apples. It was a fairly large orchard and had a lot of people, so I imagine it was profitable.

It was in the family for 40 years and I guess their kids did not want to continue it so a couple of years ago they decided to make 2020 their last year. It is sad to see all those trees removed.

Cat woman

amiga
Old 09-20-2021, 05:37 AM

I was shocked at that number, too. I even went back to FB to double check the number thinking maybe I read it wrong. Nope. It is not as big as the orchard I used to go to so I wonder how many that orchard would get

Linda/OH

apple picking
Old 09-20-2021, 05:42 AM

I just love reading all about this! We live in NE Ohio where there are a few places that sell and have pick your own. Years ago (1980's) I worked at one farm that pressed cider. We had a few apple trees at the time and had some of our own cider made. So delicious and fun. I enjoy Cortland but my favorite are Honeycrisp-just bought some at a hefty price at an Apple Festival.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4kids

I grew up at an apple orchard.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:57 AM

I am longing for it now. Picking the apples, pressing the apples for cider, jugging cider out of barrels for customers. It was hard work but a beautiful way to grow up.
heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Apples
Old 09-20-2021, 08:32 AM

I grew up on an apple orchard and it still bugs me to pay for apples. But I do because I love them.

I hate grocery store apples because they taste like the grocery store. Luckily, we have a place that does cold storage and has farm fresh apples available from August to usually March-ish. And they have the unpasteurized cider…which tastes totally different than pasteurized. The family that owns it is so nice, too.

Also, just FYI, apple trees have to be cut down and replanted every so often. My uncle moved/pared down the orchard three times before I was 18. It’s a ton of work to prune and thin the trees and maintain everything.

My favorite apples are Gravenstein but they’re impossible to find around here. I also like Cortland, MacIntosh, Paula Red, Zestar, Empires, and just about any crisp tart apple. Red delicious are not apples…they’re not allowed in my house. HoneyCrisp are fine but I think they’re overrated and don’t buy them.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

FionaJ

Old 09-20-2021, 08:59 AM

There is an orchard (probably quite small) about two miles from me—and I’ve never been.

h0kie, I didn’t know that about apple trees. Interesting! I was so sad about all those trees being cut down.
FionaJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Indiana Jen

Old 09-20-2021, 12:07 PM

We had a late April snow in northern Indiana this year (very unusual) and a lot of the apple trees, and a lot of other kinds of fruits took a hit this year. Strawberries had a very short season to pick your own. I heard apples are going to be a short season too.
Indiana Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 09-20-2021, 01:00 PM

I love Gravensteins but they are so hard to find.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-21-2021, 03:14 AM

We have quite a few orchards near us.

I love Ricker Hill. It is a 9th generation orchard and they supply many of the local Hannaford grocery stores with apples.

They have a tasting room for their hard cider (Mainiac) and wine and they have such yummy cider donuts! They also have a corn maze, bounce houses, and frisbee golf.

My favorite apples are Zestar apples!

Last edited by choppie70; 09-21-2021 at 05:07 AM..
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 09-21-2021, 03:45 AM

Apple picking is on my agenda with DGS this weekend but I guess I'd better do some research to figure out where we'll go. We often go to the Oneida orchard but I have to check to see whether they're allowing any pick-your-own activity this year.

My favorite apple orchard closed a few years ago. I loved that orchard because they had, in addition to the usual favorite cultivars, all kinds of heirloom cultivars. They allowed you to pick your own with some cultivars but they also had a huge, refrigerated room where they had bags of whatever was ripe. You could go in there and taste all the varieties before you chose what to buy. I especially liked their Pink Pearls, Mollies and Sweet Sixteens. Last I knew, they hadn't cut all their trees. I think they still sell scionwood to growers.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote