Help

ARCHIVE

Ideas for Place Value

>

Cheresa

Ideas for Place Value
Old 09-08-2006, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any ideas creative ways to teach place value? I don't do it every day with my calendar. I am going to start next week? Looking for ideas?

Cheresa is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.H

marilyn burns
Old 09-09-2006, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Marilyn Burns has a great book on place value. http://www.amazon.com/Math-All-Means...e=UTF8&s=books
Mrs.H is offline   Reply With Quote

judyf

Old 09-09-2006, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As part of our morning routine, I roll 3 dice and put the numbers up. Kids identify the olace value of each # as well as making the largest and smallest numbers out of those three digits. I use 10 sided dice. We do this every day and they are experts at the end of the year.
judyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiles66

HTO Game
Old 09-10-2006, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi,
I like a game called HTO. You make a simple chart with three columns and write each letter separately in the columns. Three children can play this game and you usually assign each one a letter (h= hundreds roller t= tens roller, o= ones roller.) The children take turn rolling the dice, they record the numbers on the chart and then use base ten blocks to show that three digit number. It seems to be a hit with my kids! They keep playing and then at the end of the game put their three digit numbers in order from highest to lowest or vice versa. Then they switch roles...
Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote

iris

Calendar Place Value
Old 09-10-2006, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have 3 cans (one for each place-ones, tens, hundreds) with the numbers 0-9 on a ring. Each day we add a straw to the ones, as we count the days we've been in school. When there are 10 straws in the can, we bundle it in a rubber band and place it in the tens cup. (So now there is a #1 on the tens place can and a 0 on the ones place can. It's a good visual and I remind them to picture that in their heads when we talk of place value.

iris is offline   Reply With Quote

gaither3

Diddo what Mrs. H said
Old 09-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Anytime you are having a math problem, see if Marilyn Burns has a book to support it. She has wonderful lessons, cummulating games, etc. The kids get so much more out of these lessons than just writing the correct number in the ones, tens, and hundreds boxes.
gaither3 is offline   Reply With Quote