Help

ARCHIVE

Guided Reading Transitions

>

Zee

Guided Reading Transitions
Old 09-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in need of some different ideas and/or suggestions for transitions between guided reading groups. I have four groups which I am required by my district to meet with every day. The students do really well working during the first group, but after the first transition and switching of groups, the students get talkative and I am battling talking and noise for the rest of guided reading time. This is the most challenging part of the day. I am interested to know what others to do have smooth group changes and still have students focusing for the rest of the time. Any ideas are appreciated...thanks in advance!

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

Cheresa

Old 09-07-2006, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I rotate my groups they go back to their seats and wait for me to rotate them to the next center. This has been working very well becaus they are expected to not talk when they get back to their seat and wait for me to tell them where to go. It only takes a minute.
Cheresa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 09-08-2006, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Instead of having centers for each rotation, have you considered including independent reading and buddy reading as some of the activities your whole class participates in. You could have all your students independently read for the first fifteen minutes, buddy read for the next fifteen minutes and then go to two centers for fifteen minutes each. You could rotate when you pull different groups so they miss something different each day.

My students have also done much better having only two students at each work station. They only go to one a day but my very talkative group is actually very quiet and focused when we do work stations. You might want to look into Debbie Diller's Literacy Work Stations book.
Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote

crobinson

Music
Old 09-08-2006, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a CD that I play with Disney music on that our student's LOVE. I play it low enough so that it doesn't distract my groups. The students know that if they talk than the music gets turned off and there is no recess. I know it sounds strict, but it WORKS. They love it, and once in a while they will dance in their seats while they are working and it helps keep their minds occupied.
crobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
AndeAllen

AndeAllen

Work Board
Old 09-09-2006, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a difficult time with centers anyway, but I have found something that works for my class. I have three groups (7-8 in each group). I also have three centers: Technology (listening center/computers), Floor Work (board games, magna doodles with activities sheets, and different skills games/pocket chart activities), and Writing/Reading Center (writing activities and big books/chart - also read around the room). We rotate throughout the centers. I use a work board with the title of each center and the students pictures are in their groups. All I do is turn the picture over for the center they have been to. They are really catching on to where they go next, plus they can find their picture under the center picture. I just pull my groups to read from these centers. And... the activities change weekly within the centers (easier planning).

Smiles66

Pairs
Old 09-10-2006, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Try having your kids work in pairs when they aren't working with you. If you can somehow work this out so that the pairs are in the same guided reading group, you might have less noise. I have my kids in pairs while I am reading with my guided reading group and it is heaven! They are so much quieter!
Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote